Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Diesel Man
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having issues with this alternator failing after only a few months. I am on my 3rd one now from RockAuto and it just failed. The first 2 were re-manufactured, so I just figured they were re-manufactured wrong. The one that just failed was brand new though. I am pretty sure it's the voltage regulator that went bad on this one. I noticed that the dashboard volt meter was spiking up from the the middle of the normal area to the max of the normal area.

I have a bigger ground/positive wire from the alt to the battery and I have a 230 amp fuse on the positive between the alt and battery.

Is there any possible way I could have an electrical issue that is causing these alternators to go bad? I have 3 month old batteries so they aren't going bad and causing more volts to be drawn.

I am just curious if anyone has had any issues like this before I send the thing back and just get a stock size alternator from Autozone.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I've been having issues with this alternator failing after only a few months. I am on my 3rd one now from RockAuto and it just failed. The first 2 were re-manufactured, so I just figured they were re-manufactured wrong. The one that just failed was brand new though. I am pretty sure it's the voltage regulator that went bad on this one. I noticed that the dashboard volt meter was spiking up from the the middle of the normal area to the max of the normal area.

I have a bigger ground/positive wire from the alt to the battery and I have a 230 amp fuse on the positive between the alt and battery.

Is there any possible way I could have an electrical issue that is causing these alternators to go bad? I have 3 month old batteries so they aren't going bad and causing more volts to be drawn.

I am just curious if anyone has had any issues like this before I send the thing back and just get a stock size alternator from Autozone.

Is there an electrical shop around your house that could bench test the alternator ( not Autozone) ?
You might have a loose connection on the starter or the starter solenoid ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diesel Man
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it out. I turned the truck on and put a voltmeter on the pos alternator post to the neg battery post and had like 3 volts. Then I wiggled the cable from the alt to the fuse and it went right up to 15 volts. I took the cable off and it had tons of corrosion under the crimp on fitting that attaches to the alternator. I got a new cable from AutoZone and the alternator has been putting out 15 volts ever since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts