Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get the new FL-1995A (replacement for the tried and true FL-1995) to fit my 01 F250 XLT w/7.3.

The slight change in length and dome shape makes it impossible to get onto the stud due to a clearance issue with the oil pan.

I already know most owners do not have this problem -- they can install a filter that's a couple inches longer than stock without any clearance issues whatsoever.

On my truck, the filter housing MUST be angled differently ... there's just barely enough clearance with the oil pan to get the old FL-1995 on. The oil pan even has a stamped indent along the filter side, I imagine to make it possible to get the filter on.

So #1, I'm wondering if anyone has some insight into this? I'm third owner, so who knows what's been done to it, but I was told it has an "Ambulance Package" engine but no idea what that means or whether it would have anything to do with my fitment problem. My oil pan looks stock to me ... at least I can see the remnants of a Ford sticker.

And #2, beware of the new FL-1995. Even if they fit my truck, I'd be looking for a new brand because the new part number looks like a POS to me. Granted, I don't know the first thing about oil filter design. But I know enough about capitalism to know that these changes were likely not made for the consumer's benefit. Clearly the new supplier isn't making them to the old spec.

Get those old ones while you can. I've bought up every one I can find near me. Tried to order FL-1995s online and they sent 1995As instead, saying 1995 is no longer made.

Tin Fluid Liquid Paint Drink

Totally different dome profile.
Table Rectangle Gas Automotive design Wood

Dome starts in a totally different place. (FL-1995 on right)

Hand Fluid Finger Gesture Thumb

Totally different length.

Automotive tire Wood Rim Auto part Gas

Totally different gasket (FL-1995 on right)

Automotive tire Wood Circle Pattern Rim

Totally different guts ... FL-1995 shown first.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

Guts of FL-1995A. WTH is that rubber thing, and why does it look like it's just kinda stuffed in there?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Having noticed the new p o number on purchase and the then the gasket was mentioned to be formed different .. What filter out there matches up. The price tag at wallmart of 10 dollars is also a good one ?? Does international have matching products ? Sorry to have gotten ahead of my self,, talking about the new 1995a filter ..Anything as good or better out there ? Talk to me..

·
Native Californian
596 Posts
I am really surprised that no one else is concerned about this. I did see the new filters in Walmart the other day. Thanks for the heads up. I am guessing we could with K&N or Mobil 1 or WIX/Napa Gold filters. I have used those before. Damn, are they TRYING to get rid of our trucks? First, an oil shortage,now this. It's just stupid. Don't fix what isn't broke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am really surprised that no one else is concerned about this. I did see the new filters in Walmart the other day. Thanks for the heads up. I am guessing we could with K&N or Mobil 1 or WIX/Napa Gold filters. I have used those before. Damn, are they TRYING to get rid of our trucks? First, an oil shortage,now this. It's just stupid. Don't fix what isn't broke.
Seems most people don't have a fitment issue like I do. It was a BFD for me though ... when I change my filter, I punch a hole in the bottom of it to drain it. Kinda sucked when the new one wouldn't go on and I'm taking Uber to 3 parts stores trying to find old stock.

I definitely need to find an acceptable replacement -- either that or take a hammer to my oil pan to create another 1/4" of clearance lol.

·
Native Californian
596 Posts
Seems most people don't have a fitment issue like I do. It was a BFD for me though ... when I change my filter, I punch a hole in the bottom of it to drain it. Kinda sucked when the new one wouldn't go on and I'm taking Uber to 3 parts stores trying to find old stock.

I definitely need to find an acceptable replacement -- either that or take a hammer to my oil pan to create another 1/4" of clearance lol.
I would just go WIX/Napa Gold. Can't ever go wrong that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts