Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im installing a 97 block into my 02 and when i get the motor into place the flex plate seems to be hitting on somthing and i cant turn the motor over by hand. i had to remove the old engine with the tc sttached because the motor was siezed up. the only things i can think of is i messed up somthing in the tc/tranny and cant seat the tc all the way or does anyone know if the 97 has a diffrent crank spacer i swaped the flywheel and adaptor plate and still having problems

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,220 Posts
You probably don't have the torque converter fully seated. It has to drop in several times to get all the splines and the pump drive aligned. It can take quite a few rotations of the torque converter on the shaft to get it to seat. Trying to do it with the transmission sitting level is MUCH harder than with the trans standing on end.

Did you rotate the converter many revolutions while trying to seat it? Before trying again it would be a good idea to take the converter out and see if the end is damaged. If you used bolts to draw the engine and trans together and the converter wasn't seated in the pump then the converter is probably damaged, and the pump may have shattered.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now with the engine and trans mated should their be enough room to slide the tc back and rotate it? just to have an idea how far seated really it

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
now with the engine and trans mated should their be enough room to slide the tc back and rotate it? just to have an idea how far seated really it
not sure what you're asking...but general rule is that the converter face (bolt/stud surface) should be @ 1.00"-1.10" from the bell housing mating surface...ie, where the trans adapter meets the block (long straight edge across face of bell housing)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright thanks ill go take a look. i did notice that their is some play in the tc with it in i can shake it up and dow side to side

Attachments

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,220 Posts
No there isn't.

alright thanks ill go take a look. i did notice that their is some play in the tc with it in i can shake it up and dow side to side
You should be able to move it forward and backwards a bit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i just pulled the motor again and put a straight edge on the bell housing and the center nipple of the tc is flush with the bellhousing

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,220 Posts
Can you rotate the engine with it disconnected from the trans?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes motor turns when not connected to the trans but when connected the flexplate is binding up on somthing, i just swaped the crank spacer just to ease my mind but to the eye they both looked the same, i also placed the flex plate on the tc just to see if any clearence issues but it seemed fine

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know what fixed it but got it together I don't know if it was the spacer or the tc not set all the way but all is good now we'll until the next problem thanks for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.