Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
gabe
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 7.3ltr(supperchip,cold air,4in turbo back) and i just don't have the power that i want. i tow a 10k trailer and the truck doesn't like hills very much. i would like to add as much power as i can but i don't want to do a complete engine overhaul(IE head studs) and i don't want to go for broke either. i would appreciate any suggestions but no $5k turbo ideas please
thanks
Gabe

·
Registered
484 Posts
For towing I would do the turbo, injectors, and a good chip.

I would get rid of the superchip you have and go with a 6 pos from TS with custom burns like from Swamps or Tony Wildman. $400

If that is not enough strap on a Garrett ball bearing turbo. $1800

Next you can do injector work, a nozzle upgrade would be a good start. If thats not enough then setup to a single shot injector with the nozzle upgrade. $2000

IDM mod is cheap not a big differance in power but helps it out a bit.

That is a good start for making power for around $4,000. Should put you around 305-375 RWHP

·
Registered
484 Posts
Its a flip chip. It has 6 different settings on it. You get to choose the settings you want. Its change on the fly, so you don't have to plug in you hand held superchip programmer and change the settings that way.

you mount the control knob by the steering wheel of your truck and thats all you see. Turn the knob for different power settings(while your driving if you want). My chip is burned like this:

Setting 1-high idle
Setting 2-stock
Setting 3-tow
Setting 4-race
Setting 5-drag race
Setting 6-sled pull

I had Swamps Diesel do mine and I love it. I had an Edge EVO and the differance between the 2 is night and day. It was like going from a stock truck to a hot chipped truck, and i ran my EVO on the highest setting.

They even changed my shift points and lock up. The converter would lock up around 55mph now its 35mph. Tranny shifts are a lot firmer also.

Get a set of gauges though the EGT's will go up and if your towing thats bad.

·
gabe
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just looked at the tuner on the web, how do you instal it?
and i have a 6spd manual. where is the best place to buy one of these? i have been looking at Totaldieselperformance.com

·
Registered
484 Posts
It comes with a how-to install you have to remove the ECM to do it. The chip plugs into the ECM.

The fact you have a 6 speed won't hurt it at all. Most of the sponsers on here carry one. Just make sure they can custom burn it for you to get as much power out of it as possible.

Also most of them offer a free reburn for life. So say you did end up doing injectors down the road, you can send your chip off and they will reburn it to get more power out of your truck and make it more driveable.

·
gabe
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awesome, thanks man.
i am deployed so i will have to wait till i get back to do anything to the truck.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
For a 6spd, I would call PHP. Bill uses TS chips and his tunes for 6spds made my truck shift as if it was stock. The previous chip I had shifted much different and had areas of less power and areas of absolutely explosive power. Pulling away from a toll booth could be violent. Whereas, now my truck shifts just like stock, with bigger balls.

·
Registered
531 Posts
For a 6spd, I would call PHP. Bill uses TS chips and his tunes for 6spds made my truck shift as if it was stock. The previous chip I had shifted much different and had areas of less power and areas of absolutely explosive power. Pulling away from a toll booth could be violent. Whereas, now my truck shifts just like stock, with bigger balls.
I think you would be very happy with Bill's tunes at PHP--Power Hungry Performance

·
Registered
484 Posts
I was thinking about that also, I run 38's and when cruzin at what the speedo says 65 i'm pullin 1600 rpms. I have towed a car trailer with a total weight(truck included) of 16,500lbs, truck ran great had to back out of it a few times due to high EGT's. The gears are cheap, its the install that is painfull. 650 for gears and 2100 install. Why i have never done them.

Think any of those chips would be better than that Stupidchip he has now. Heard nothing but good things about all of the tuners listed above. Its just who you want to go with.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
TS is a company like many others , their tunes are somewhat more generalized but most people forget that ts can also do reburns.now are they as good as dp, tw, php di bts swamps etc...?who knows
each has some tunes that are better then others etc...

99% of the tuners use a TS blank chip, except DP.
so on the plus side you can use different tuners for diff things.

the plus for the dp chip is that they can hold 16 tunes instead of the 6 that a ts chip can hold. in the case of the f5
the f6 can have tunes emailed and loaded direct to the chip if you have a laptop, or a long enough usb cord. ts chips have to be taken out to reburn.
down side of the f5&6 is you only can run dp tuners tunes,
( not a down side if you like dp tunes)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Bill uses TS chips and his tunes for 6spds made my truck shift as if it was stock
Holy SH!# !!!! Bill has tunes that will make a 6 speed shift gears on its own??

JK man..I had to read your post twice...2nd time around I got exactly what you were sayin.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Lose the Rubicon Express stickers and get a real tuner.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Wel you got some good gearing then probly close to what stock should be I am guessing but. You should deff think bout gettinbg a custom burned chip it makes a hell of a difference. I just got some stage 1's which is 70 more cc's of fuel then my stock injectors all I can say is wow what a power difference. All the tuners above that were listed are very good. Some put out more smoke then others do to there tunning but all make good power once the turbo spools. For example of the super chips over Tony wildmans tuning. Superchiped crew cab ran a 16.60 and the extended cab with the wildman ran a 15.25. Thats just to say how much more of a difference there is in custome tuning. Good luck with what you choose.

·
gabe
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i am out of the country for 5 months so i have a while to figure it out.
and yes the new gears brought me back to dam near stock. when i get back i want to go to 5.13s and a Gear Vender. with the other tuner.
can you tell me more about this 16 pos one, what makes it hold 16 when the others only hold 6???

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
i am out of the country for 5 months so i have a while to figure it out.
and yes the new gears brought me back to dam near stock. when i get back i want to go to 5.13s and a Gear Vender. with the other tuner.
can you tell me more about this 16 pos one, what makes it hold 16 when the others only hold 6???
The F5 and F6 is built by DP Tuner and they only use it. That means you can ONLY run there tunes on it. Yes it will hold 16 pos but do you really need that many?

I have a 6 pos from Matt at Gearhead and only use the daily driver tune 80% of the time the all out tune 15% of the time split the high idle and quite idle the other 5% So I dont even use the other ones at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.