Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About this time last year, I took off the TT mirrors on my truck (they ain't for sale) and went to the paddle mirrors. That gained ne a solid MPG.

The other day some doofus clucked my passenger side mirror in the parking lot. Its trashed. I'm running with it folded in for now.

Suddenly my MPG shot up a half MPG. Not bad for cool weather.

Wonder what it will do with both folded in?

·
College=Broke as f*ck
514 Posts
That much of a difference? wow

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Dave what are planning on doing for visibility without mirrors? Are you thinking of investing in a good quality backup camera? Have you considered mirror delete plates like Scotty & Powersmoker have on their race trucks?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for that info, Dave. Always kept that in mind, the mirror issue. My new to me van has the smaller mirrors rather than the TT ones. Need to sort her out and get some baseline numbers for mileage.

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cameras don’t float the boat just yet, but I do have an idea.

Anybody know how to take the mirror out of a TT unit so I can but it back later?

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
I suspect that you have gotten some erroneous readings Dave.

I was at a mpg testing facility for 18 wheelers and we discussed aero mirrors and I was told that they resulted in a very well documented .5% improvement. As in half of a single %.

I'm not saying it correlates perfectly but there is some correlation.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Can you really say that comparing the 0.5% gain on a 50+' long 18 wheeler has much to do with the gains for a relatively tiny and lightweight light truck?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
:whs:
whole different aero game.
Sounds like an interesting result Dave. Can't help you with the mirrors though.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Theres also a legality issue of a street driven truck with no rear view mirros

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
:whs: I think you atleast have to have one on the passenger side, or maybe the driver's side (I forget) Kinda like some old cars you see that only have one

·
Peon Extraordinaire
1,880 Posts
Theres also a legality issue of a street driven truck with no rear view mirros
I always thought that you just had to have unobstructed view of the rear - so the rear view mirror would take care of it... I will do some checking. Maybe Tom can chime in?

Sam

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
That is good if you can pickup 2 mpg that way. I was going to try to make up some mirror side panels with 2 mini cameras in them. A couple monitors on the dash for both side rear view. Never got to it, but for a possible 2 mpg gain, it might be time to try them.

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
FYI or reference

New Jersey Statutes - Title 39 Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation - 39:3-71 Mirrors

39:3-71. Mirrors
Every motor vehicle shall have rear view mirrors so located and angled as to give the driver adequate rear view vision. Every passenger automobile manufactured after January 1, 1965 and registered in this State, shall be equipped with an interior mirror and an exterior mirror on the driver's side. On and after January 1, 1965, every commercial motor vehicle registered in this State, other than a trailer or semitrailer, shall be equipped with an interior mirror and an exterior mirror on the driver's side, except that every such vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct or obscure a rear view from an interior mirror shall, in lieu of an interior mirror, be equipped with an exterior mirror on the side of the vehicle opposite the driver's side. The director may by regulation establish other mirror requirements for special or unusual types of vehicles. Any person operating a motor vehicle without the equipment prescribed by this section shall, on conviction, be fined as provided in Revised Statutes 39:3-79.

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
A lot of drivers never use them, there only there to put on makeup, etc. Nothing useful, I know, just being a smart A.:doh:

·
Work in progress!
390 Posts
In Texas as of last november it was only one rear view mirror. no matter where but at least one to pass inspection.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been using that technique on the 250 2010. The tow mirrors are the size of a couple of small kids. Folded in on the highway depending on the conditions I picky up a solid 1-1.5 hand calced

·
I still play with trucks
183 Posts
I have seen people take off their side mirror and run monster big NASCAR type racing rearview mirrors.

1-2mpg's hand calculate!!! DANG.

I might have the best of both worlds. My 2008 has electric folding mirrors. I will see what it does with my truck.

How long does it take to remove mirrors?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
what about trying to put on a set of stylish motorcycle mirrors? I know it might POSSIBLY be added into the gayest truck accessories thread but hey if you get 2 mpg and you're legal who cares.

Chad

·
Registered
103 Posts
I work for a new car dealer and was talking to my service manager. He was telling me that he was sent to a training class a while back and that the manufacture did some air flow research and noted that the hood deflectors and side steps cause the truck to not be as aerodynamic resulting in a loss of 1-2 MPG.

I'm curious if anyone done any testing on the difference between a truck with Hood deflectors and side steps vs. a truck with out?

·
Reloading
429 Posts
What about mounting a removable mirror on the outside edge of the tow mirrors? You can navigate traffic with them folded in and fold them out when needed. I have the 08+ mirrors so doing this would seem to be easier than the 99-07s.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts