Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had another thread about my brakes acting up in cold weather. I was given an idea that there is potential moisture in the vacuum lines and it's freezing causing my issue. The idea to remedy this is to purge the system with electrical contact cleaner. Would using the vacuum line off of the brake booster be my best bet to clear the system?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
How are your brakes "acting up"? Intermittent hard pedal?

I would think the contact cleaner could freeze. If you want to purge moisture, I would use compressed air.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are your brakes "acting up"? Intermittent hard pedal?

I would think the contact cleaner could freeze. If you want to purge moisture, I would use compressed air.
Yes, hard pedal when it is cold out (usually below 20*). Otherwise acts normal

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Do you have access to a hand vacuum pump? If so, try this - wait 'til it's below 20F, disconnect the vacuum line from the brake booster, press the pedal a few times to exhaust the reserve. Then put the hand vac pump on the booster and pump it up, and try the pedal. If it's hard, the moisture / freezing problem is in the booster. If not, then the pump is the more likely suspect. Or possibly water in the distribution box (manifold). At that point, you could start the engine (leave the vac line off) and see if you get vacuum at the open line. You could also perform the same sort of "divide and conquer" test by disconnecting the pump-to-distro-box line at the distro box and doing the same thing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a solid plan to me. I don't have a vacuum pump, but seems like they're not to terribly exspensive, and I'd have a few uses for it. I think once spring time rolls around I will probably start replacing the brake system as it's probably pretty well worn out

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The joys of ressirecting 20 year old vehicles :ford:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts