Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an H2E that was upgraded to the 66mm compressor and the exhaust is a 17cm housing, no waste gate. Does anyone have any experiance they can share that might help my turbo setup spool faster, and clear up some of low end smoke a little better. I slow traffic when I have to hurry onto the road with a nice black cloud, running swamps hybrid 250cc sticks. If I really mash it I can stop traffic both ways with black goodness, makes the truck really wake up. My truck has 35" tires and has 4.56's for the gearing. I tried this lower gearing hoping it would improve the low end. I'm not trying to have a smoke free truck by any means but in some places its probably better to minimize the smoke a little when around a lot of people. Does this sound normal?

Attachments

·
OBNOXIOUS MOTORSPORTS
465 Posts
I ran almost the same set up with swamps 275cc big oil A codes just sold it (the modded 66).mine was smoky down low too but cleaned up all right to just a haze with the pedal to the floor but its in the toooning....... or machine it out for a bigger compressor wheel size :evil and make your comp wheel even bigger and get a bigger turbine housing but keep the your current turbine wheel to help it spool faster

·
OBNOXIOUS MOTORSPORTS
465 Posts
and its how you drive too lol wil determine the outcome of blacking out the road or not too as well as tuning

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or machine it out for a bigger compressor wheel size :evil and make your comp wheel even bigger and get a bigger turbine housing but keep the your current turbine wheel to help it spool faster
What would be a ball park cost figure on doing this. Any ideas on a compressor size to try.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to be swapping in my built motor this spring and I want to get the turbo where I want it since I will have it all torn apart. This motor I built several years ago that I will be putting in has forged rods, coated internals, mahle pistons .10 lower, custom machined pistons with valve reliefs, comp cam valve springs, fire ring head, head studs, hypermax cam, ect... This motor will have a much lower compression. Lower than 14:1 I'm guessing, maybe closer to 12:1. Thinking about the lower compression I will have and the hypermax cam I'm thinking it might be a little more laggy than the stock motor I have it on now.

For all out power this turbo rocks when you get on it. I've been driving it the past year trying to keep the boost under 25lbs because the stock motor I 'm running isn't ready for all out boost and fuel. I've had to be real disciplined. My tunning is from BDP for this turbo and injectors.

For the towing I do, I wonder if they make a wastegate for the H2E that would work for me?

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
dont go bigger on the comp side w/o a bigger exhust wheel. also dont go anywhere near 12:1 w/ out a ton of fuel and twins that would eat an h2e. i never really thought the h2e was laggy. some tinkerin on tuning should be all you need.

·
<---Best intake plenums
449 Posts
Get some good tuning. I have a modded h2e and 250 hybrids and can take off without smoking. I have a 500+hp tune from bean that i run around town with and it wont even put out a bit of smoke unless you mash it.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Bean can tune the wheels of a modded h2e, they are very familar with them.
Get your motor where you want , ask them for advice and let johnathan work his magic.
Btw what kind of oil ie (hpop) you running, you will want at least an adrenaline if not bigger

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get some good tuning. I have a modded h2e and 250 hybrids and can take off without smoking. I have a 500+hp tune from bean that i run around town with and it wont even put out a bit of smoke unless you mash it.
I will have to get a hold of BDP with my situation and see if they can come up with some tune ideas. I'll mention the 500+hp tune. When I start going it seems i'm only getting at the most 5lbs of boost when I go from 0-35 mph. I just want a little more zip on the bottom especially when I tow it lugs and smokes bad.

Does torque converter lockup effect anything? I have a light that comes on when the converter is locked and I noticed its almost always locked. How does a guy allow it to slip a little? Chip tuning or valve spring tension in the tranny?

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
tuning adjust lock up. sounds like thats what the deal is w/ it lugging and all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Btw what kind of oil ie (hpop) you running, you will want at least an adrenaline if not bigger
I'm running the low output early 99 hpop currently. For the motor swap I'm hoping to upgrade to a late 99 hpop. Does oil output effect the low end or just the top end power using a 250 hybrid injector?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tuning adjust lock up.
The more I think about it that makes sense. My torque converter does seem very aggressive. It don't allow much slip. If you time it wrong on the road the shifting goes in real hard.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
somebody else can answer this better than me, but hybrids need less oil generally. i have 530 hybrids on a stock 17* hpop (late 99 type). the only time i throw a CEL is when i stay in the throttle a little too long. generally, a 1/4 mile pass wont even do it! but like i said, someone else know better than me for sure, and the adrenaline or similar would definitely help.

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
I'm running the low output early 99 hpop currently. For the motor swap I'm hoping to upgrade to a late 99 hpop. Does oil output effect the low end or just the top end power using a 250 hybrid injector?
That's the problem right there^^^^

E99's had a 15* HPOP, nowhere near enough oil for 250's. The 99.5 HPOP was a 17*, but I think a 17* is a little hard pressed to feed that big of an injector.

You're smoking and luggin so bad because you're not atomizing your fuel properly. Also what's your elevation? Any chance you can get a scanner on it and see your ICP while driving?

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Tuning... Pull some fuel out at the low end would be my guess.... On a side not 4.56s are super low for 35s, I mean you can get 35s stock with 3.73s

·
OBNOXIOUS MOTORSPORTS
465 Posts
i thought i posted its gone now i had a 66 used with 275 swamps big oil stix its in the tuning and throw away that 17cm and at least get a 19 housing. you can also machine out your h2e and get a bigger comp wheel and keep your turbine wheel little or what it is now believe a 71 to help spool the comp wheel up faster less smoke more powah

·
OBNOXIOUS MOTORSPORTS
465 Posts
yeah do the TC lock up mod i think its the yellow brown wire or the yellow purple then get a relay so your od light doesnt flash that gets annoying after about 45 seconds. I could go outside and check on my 02 but its still not really light outside lol. also if its tuned right you really dont need it unless you want to cause a 10 car pile up smoking out the road lugging on it which is bad on your rod bearings anyways and make sure you turn the switch off after 30mph when your slowing down. but if your tunes are right you really dont need the switch:poke:also listen to powerstrokenstang he steered me in the right direction he knows his stuff :bow:(thank you sir :rockon:) you may want to get rid of your h2 or talk to uh my post will get removed but they machine it cheap or go with a s400 with a 71mm or 75mm with an ett wheel at least close or over 90lbs/min of flow and see an major improvement in overall performance especially up top they are all over the net for alittle over 6 and half bills and just elongate your holes. Ive got the .500 line valve mod it shifts pretty damn hard i couldnt imagine the .679 thats to obnoxious even for me with cryoed tranny guts.

Im thinkn about going down to the .479 bcuz when it shifts it feels like somethings gonna break when it shifts but they are quick but even under normal driving most people hate it that ride in it plus i need ladder bars with my 11.5 inch lift bcuz i have baaad stupid axle wrap. Also I dont know about having 12:1 especially in a daily driver up north i'm somewhere around 14:1 but i run 1 battery and cold for us is 50 degrees also. like i said ealier man its mainly in the tooning! also 4.56 gears are alittle too much for 35s man i ran 4.88s with 42s and 38s till i snapped the rear into pieces and that was still too much with those size tires pulling 13k everyday the best mod ive done to my truck was go to 4.30s you'd be more than fine with 4.10s

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
Assuming all of your parts are okay this is all about programming. You just need custom programming.

My truck smoked a LOT at one time. When I had Jody in my truck for custom tuning we had it slip the TC a lot, upshift rather late when accelerating so it maintained RPMs, and made it downshift w/ just the slightest bit of throttle. It makes a huge difference in your ability to accelerate briskly w/ low smoke levels.

The 15 degree HPOP (if it's healthy) should be fine for the conditions you are describing.

I too use to have a truck that could stop traffic and imo it's about the gayest thing ever.

What nozzles do you have?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're smoking and luggin so bad because you're not atomizing your fuel properly. Also what's your elevation? Any chance you can get a scanner on it and see your ICP while driving?
My average elevation is around 4500 feet. I have an auto enginuity scanner I'll hook it up and see the ICP while I drive. What am I looking for?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts