Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
99 & 00, F350s, manual and auto, Ext & Crew Cab, 4x2 & 4x4, need more room!
4,186 Posts
Excellent! Welcome to PSN!

If you are going to keep tracking your progress, this belongs in the Project Log Forum. I'll ask that it be moved there.

Reactions: PWNstroke

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
@PWNstroke - If you are really going to fix up this truck, you need to do a lot yourself! You have come to the right place, because these guys are fabulous!

1. Get FORScan scanning software for Fords (free) and an OBDII reader. Greatest troubleshooting tool ever!
I do not have financial interest in this tool. I just love it. $12 for the 1-year PC license (not necc) and $7 for the android. OBDII reader $20-$60.

2. DO NOT throw parts at it . . . if you must, then make them Motorcraft parts. Ford diesels are quite particular about their sensors.

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
I cannot tell you enough how great these guys are. I had not worked on a civilian diesel, and hadn't even seen a Ford 7.3 when I bought a 99.5 basket case. One helluva ride! So, taking your "looking for tips" for real, I'm chiming in.

Hauled cattle and hay, has 257,000 miles on original everything?!

My plans are to remove and replace worn stock items with upgraded or performance parts while keeping this beast plugging along.
Great Plan! Exactly what I am doing on my 00 Pig. FORScan gives me codes and things to work off.

I recently removed a lot ... $1,200 ... Diesel, that’s new, but not unbearable.
You got this, and we are here to help!

I quickly purchased the S&B intake, fuel bowl refresh kit, EVBP delete, crank position sensors, Beilstein steering damper, Turbomaster, and glow plug relay.
SLOW DOWN ... All sensors should be the expen$ive Motorcrafts. What glow plug relay? You ask a lot for your glow plugs so I went with the most recommended White-Rodgers.

Since the truck is "down", pull the air cooler. Set it somewhere on its side, in a warm place, so it can drain. Both my 99 and my 00 had over a quart of oil in their air coolers. Boiling hot water and some Dawn after it has drained, and slosh it while it is cooling. Rinse well.

Like the Beilstein, I have it on mine. Is yours a 4x4? My 00 was lifted, and I ended up re-doing the entire front end. Lift kits wear out a truck something fierce!.

While waiting for time to begin upgrades, I ended up getting with Clay from CNCFab and ordering the fuel line kit, HPOP line kit, boot kit, and intake plenums. I don’t believe my HPOP is bad but I’d be happy with any suggestions and discussions on upgrades while it’s open, or leave it until it breaks. I understand “what’s your use for the truck” which was covered earlier, but if a later upgrade for injectors and possible turbo/exhaust/fuel bowl delete/fuel delivery needs an upgraded HPOP, I’d rather spend the money now while it’s open.
I love my Dieselsite Adrenaline HPOP, but some people have also strongly argued it is overkill. I see no reason for the fuel bowel delete but would recommend the Hutch and Harpoon mods. Also, assuming you have changed all your filters - keep an eye on your fuel filter. If an o-ring on the injector goes, you will see dark fuel. I had to drop and clean my 99's tank. Draining a little fuel monthly helps you find signs.

I also went with Strictly Diesel's mod and filter kit, - A little more expensive but I wanted to protect my fuel system and newly rebuilt engine.

I will use the truck for work. I am an electrician and will be hauling a mini-x, skid steer, or wire reels. So 700ish miles is our furthest one way (with per diem) work trips. If I’m not hauling, it’s a 1980 Rabbit, or my 1997 Audi A6. 😎

Always open for tips or things a newbie can miss scrolling through these forums. 🤘🏼
Diesel O-rings for quality O-rings. RiffRaff and Strictly diesel have good stuff.

You are going to have a blast! You will know your truck better than anyone else!

BTW -- I highly recommend oil analysis to keep an eye on your truck's well-being. Yeah, it's a little costly for 2 Diffs, engine, transmission, and transfer case, but it will give you the earliest signs that trouble is brewing. You did change your diff fluid, and transfer case fluid, right? :D

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Super! BTW, search on videos of "runaway diesel engines". By the weirdest coincidence, the guys were talking about it before my turbo went and blew oil in the intake.

I recognized it immediately and was able to slam it in fifth and kill it. Good to know info.

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Is that a bottle of beer? :ROFLMAO:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts