Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im back,, What blend of the modern synthetics oil out there are coming to the front ?? My 99 7.3 uses to much of the modern 5 40 oils and need to blend the 5 40 with the 15 40 . In an attempt to enjoy the best engine oils out there .. The full 5 40 oils are to thin and oil use goes up noticeably .. Is there a 15 40 that matches up with the new all world 5 40s .. Looking for some personal experience you might want to share..My 7.3 has 165000 on it and all is well.. Would it work to blend the two formulas and what brands ??? The Gov Holmes

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
If you are using oil with the 5w-40 then odds are you will use oil with the 15w-40.

Once that 15w-40 warms up it will be flowing just like the 5w-40 oils.

I'd be doing some investigating to see if I could pinpoint just where the oil is going. Injector O Rings or piston rings along with a few other spots.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back..Years ago approx 10 i tried the slick 5 40 oil and it just used at a different rate than the 15 40 and i just added the 15 40 as needed and all worked out , As i remmed a couple of quarts and all settled out ..The 7 3 have a rep of not tolerating the slick oil designed whith the newer Diesels and specs ..in mind ..Thanks again and ill ask at the tavern to be sure... Don't quit your day job ..have fun ..

·
Administrator
754 Posts
i have used regular valvoline all fleet 15-40 in my trucks and cars forever.
the parts store tried selling me on synthetic. i used it ONCE. and it leaked like crazy. went back to all fleet and the leaks stopped.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Decided to go @ a rate of 1 gal 5 40 and 3 @ 15 40 .. Running a by pass oil filter , the B 164 lets me dump all 16 quarts in at once .. Hoping the blend works for me at lease tolerable ,No more than i drive it should be ok, not that it wont use oil , hoping i can tolerate the extra use as the 5 40 is surely an upgrade in the life of the engine.. If it turns out ok ill try a little harder next change , yes il keep in touch ...The Gov Holmes

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A tidbit , my son who has ben using my 99 7.3 the last couple of months told me the engine is louder on startup since oil change ..Yes the days are colder and etc, My interest in oil consumption is at the top of the list also . Something is always going on ?? The Gov Holmes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts