Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 08 350 with H&S tuner, DPF delete and intake. Getting P2078 misfire contribution/balance code on cylinder 6. Thinking possibly a bad injector? Any mod friendly dealers in southern WI or northern il? PM me if you know anyone. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you tried clearing the P2078 code...if so, does it reoccur?
Bad injectors usually run rough, or, at least you will see white smoke.

Also, I'm not sure there are any true Mod Friendly Dealers out there...at least in regards to warranty work, but, maybe I'm wrong.

Anybody else have any thoughts...?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah it did blow white smoke twice, both times when remote started n didnt notice it right away. Also felt n sounded like it was missing, put the key in shut it off n on problem gone. This morning it was pretty cold and not plugged in when the check engine light came on, had the code cleared the light did not return but was told the code reader still picked it up. Was running fine when the code came and no white smoke. Have a trip this weekend to the U.P. that I dont wanna miss. Gotta find snow ;) Think I should chance it? Thanks for the help and advice!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Mod Friendly Dealer? P0278 Code Help Please!

The code is P0278 Cylinder 6 Contribution/Balance not 2078.

·
Registered
380 Posts
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95631

Last March I had a very similar problem (read the above thread), believe it or not some fuel additives cleared it up for me. I haven't had a problem since.

I've been adding a little Power Service at every fill up. And I try to only buy fuel from big truck islands, because they move a lot of fuel.

I'm not claiming this will solve your problem, I know I got incredibly lucky, but hey, it's worth a shot.

My experience concerning "mod friendly" dealers is that it's the tech that really matters, not so much the dealership. It can't hurt to call around and talk to folks. I'd also say rural dealers that tend to work on a lot of farm trucks would be a lot more likely to have mod friendly techs. That's how it is in my area at least.

My two local dealerships have both told me that there's no need to return the truck to stock for anything short of an engine or transmission warranty replacement. And only then because Ford is so close they might send someone up to inspect it in person.

·
Registered
582 Posts
O and middleton is right outside of madison in southern wisconsin

·
Diesel Therapist
153 Posts
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95631

Last March I had a very similar problem (read the above thread), believe it or not some fuel additives cleared it up for me. I haven't had a problem since.

I've been adding a little Power Service at every fill up. And I try to only buy fuel from big truck islands, because they move a lot of fuel.

I'm not claiming this will solve your problem, I know I got incredibly lucky, but hey, it's worth a shot.

My experience concerning "mod friendly" dealers is that it's the tech that really matters, not so much the dealership. It can't hurt to call around and talk to folks. I'd also say rural dealers that tend to work on a lot of farm trucks would be a lot more likely to have mod friendly techs. That's how it is in my area at least.

My two local dealerships have both told me that there's no need to return the truck to stock for anything short of an engine or transmission warranty replacement. And only then because Ford is so close they might send someone up to inspect it in person.
What he said! Great post, I have no problems, but I "interviewed" the tech at my Ford dealer. Went in to buy price some parts from the counter, and asked to talk to the diesel tech. He came out and loved all I had done and basically told me what times the Ford rep usually comes out. For minor things that are in and out, he said leave it as is. For anything major return to stock. I have used fuel treatments since I bought it at 25,000 miles. Been tuned for a year/ 50,000 miles. I Use my truck for what t is was intended and often. Towing heavy, hauling heavy, off-road, and long distance highway travel. Truck had Premium care that I got transferred over, so warranty time is still a big deal with me. The fuel treatments I have used most often are Ford's for about 3 months and then Amsoil Concentrate and Cetane booster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info and advice. I usually run diesel clean in every tank, the one in the silver bottle but haven't the last couple tanks. I put some in the white bottle last night n topped it off. Will see how it goes for the rest of the week n if all is good I think I'm gonna chance the trip. I'm dying to ride :) If I have any more problems Outlaw I'll PM you. Thanks I really appreciate everything!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the check engine light came back on :( There's no noticeable missing or white smoke. Do u think I should chance the trip to the U.P.?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well the check engine light came back on :( There's no noticeable missing or white smoke. Do u think I should chance the trip to the U.P.?
Mine would miss/stumble a bit on a cold start, a couple of light touches on the throttle would clear it up and it'd run fine until cold again. That little bit of stumbling was enough for me to get a check engine light. If yours is doing the same, I'd make the trip. Try turning the AC on and see if it seems to make any miss a little more noticeable.

Having the injector swapped out isn't that huge of a job, I found a local diesel shop that quoted me $225 in labor. The parts weren't bad, but if you change it out make sure you replace the tube as well, they're not supposed to be reused.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Lol, dude don't mention the dealership and mechanic in thread, PM the OP with that info! :doh:

If it were me, I'd edit my post. PM all that info. A simple, "PM sent" will let everyone else know that you helped the OP out.

To the OP: As for as sticking injectors and cylinder contribution......be very careful with that. Bad injectors can be fatal. Mine has thrown that code a couple times, I shut the truck down immediately, cleared the codes, restart, and no more issues. I do keep a close eye on it however, on warm ups, letting it run for 30 seconds or so before I walk away from it. Just to make sure it doesn't start idling rough.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yah was thinking the same thing bout the dealer n tech but I do appreciate it Outlaw n may be in further contact with you and your guy. I reinstalled my tune and it cleared the light. Also called a closer dealer to speak with their diesel tech but gotta call back in the morning. I'll ask his thoughts on what I have done and if it'll be ok to bring it there. Thanks for all the help any other info is appreciated!

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
People dont realize that this is a public forum and everytime a dealer's name is mentioned on here, you dont know what eyes are reading and that may not be a mod friendly dealer anymore next week

·
Registered
582 Posts
ya i was drunk that nite and was trying to be a hero and just blurted it out. ya that was not a good plan. Thank you to the mod who removed it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well made there n back with no issues! After reinstalling the tune the check engine light hasn't returned. Trip went pretty good until my old man wrapped my other sled around a tree lol! Luckily he's fine just a little sore. But the sleds totaled. That's what insurance is for I guess. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts