Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, last weekend I took out a radiator with a foreign object, and upon reinstalling the new one, I found out it had Motorcraft Gold in it (which the dealer put in and didn't tell me they flushed out all my old coolant, or atleast I hope they flushed it all out). And I poured a gallon of Final Charge (Red ELC Coolant)

Does anybody know the repercussions? Do they not jive with each other? I have a feeling I'm going to be doing a flush....

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
Well, I personally would flush it out. I know that green and gold dont mix and they can cause a very corrosive mixture. So I assume that red and gold would too.

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I personally would flush it out. I know that green and gold dont mix and they can cause a very corrosive mixture. So I assume that red and gold would too.
I'm gonna order a new thermostat and flush the system next weekend I think.

Anybody else confirm? I read somewhere that it might gel. But I didn't really know what I was reading.

·
Native Texan
8,987 Posts
Well some will gel some will turn into a tar like substance some just eats at the metal. I would flush it out as soon as possible.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
There will be no issue caused by mixing those two coolants.

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Agreed. It will ruin whatever additives are in the coolant, but it shouldn't gel or anything. It's all ethelyn glycol, the only difference between them is the additive packages. I would drain it and fill it all with one type, that way the additives work for ya. But ruin it? No, it won't ruin it.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Agreed. It will ruin whatever additives are in the coolant, but it shouldn't gel or anything. It's all ethelyn glycol, the only difference between them is the additive packages. I would drain it and fill it all with one type, that way the additives work for ya. But ruin it? No, it won't ruin it.
It will not ruin the additives in the coolant.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I accidentally mixed green and orange in my 6.4 when I did the EGR delete and it gelled up and plugged my oil cooler on the coolant side. Not good I flushed it installed a new oil cooler (among other things) and re filled with green been fine ever since

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
It would be a no-brainer for me (regardless of what yet-to-be-specified testing says), I'd be getting some decent flush, such as Fleetgaurd Restore, doing a flush and refill. Cheers!

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I did my flush on my 6.4 (7.3 might be less critical could maybe just use the machine at a shop idk) but I used vc-9 and I had no issues, but that was with a 6.4 the coolant system is a little more complex than a 7.3 I feel. It might not be necessary to go that far with the flush

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't know about green and gold, but gold and red caused me problems, it clogged the oil cooler in my old 6.4 it formed a gooey sludge.

Personally I'd flush it asap, I also wouldn't use chemicals, strongest thing I'd use is Liquid Cascade dishwasher detergent. Strong chemicals like VC-9 and Restore plus can break stuff loose.

I would flush it out real good, do a few fill N drains with distilled to dilute the hose water then fill with 3 1/2 gals. of concentrated Green and add the right amount of VC-8, check your owners manual, on an initial fill it takes a few bottles. Don't neglect that because it helps control cavitation.

Finally I'd put a label on the degas bottle showing what's in there and warn about mixing. When in doubt just add distilled water if you're on the road, you can test it later and make up with concentrate. Test strips are a tool box must have when you're running green so you can keep up on the additives.

I attached a chart to show different coolant makeups, it's kinda old but you'll get the idea.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts