Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever run w/o a headstud? top very back one on pass. side stripped the block while doin my hot retorque, last one i did:pointlaugh::(. i have fire rings and h11's torqued to 135.

·
OEM Moderator
9,379 Posts
That sucks big time. Pulled the threads out of the block? I am thinking there is no choice but to do things the right way to get this fixed.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'd say pull the head and Hila coil the block. If you don't I would say it will warp the head and spit the gasket. I'm sure there are a lot of more experianced one on this subject. Good luck.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
I'd say pull the head and Hila coil the block. If you don't I would say it will warp the head and spit the gasket. I'm sure there are a lot of more experianced one on this subject. Good luck.
Hila coils work well. Super strong :whs:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
That sucks! Pry shod just fix it right not worth the cance of hurting something else. Wonder if that hole had a defect to start with? Good luck with the decision.

·
OEM Moderator
9,379 Posts
Is your torque wrench accurate?

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one of the center ones on the drivers side had stripped on assembly. been thinking about trying to run it like it is. if it blows i still have to pull it and buy new rings and gasket. i jus dont trust tryin to drill and tap it w/ the head on. my luck the drill bit would break off:doh:

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is your torque wrench accurate?
yup, didn even get real close, started to get close to torque and just freed up and kept on spinnin. nate assembled it, i am jus doin the retorque. its a digital snap on. so we have both had one to do it.

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
Good chance it'll take the head with it if it blows like it is.

Otherwise I'd say run it like it is 'til then. Like you said.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I would think it would warp the head as well. You would be stuck no only replacing it but the head as well. It jsut makes sense to do it the correct way.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
makes me wonder the difference in length of the cummins headstuds and PSD headstuds...... wonder if 14mm cummins studs would fit??? would still have to drill and tap, but 14mm studs would be awesome.

·
Registered
444 Posts
a vote for the keenserts. heli coils require special taps and drills to insert. keenserts only require standart off the shelf taps and drills. very easy to work with andvery good quality parts. my 2 cents. do it right to run short one headbolt will cause leakage. if the leakage goes out not bad. if it goes into the piston, hydro lock and broken connecting rod, windowed block. you say you have fire rings, probably because its more than stock , then you are going to run with less clamping power on the head......not a good decision.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Yank the motor, pull the head, heli coil and try again.
:whs: Since it has done it to two holes on your motor, might want to helicoil all the holes on that head. If you wait, you might have to do this work on the side of the highway. Do it now, and you do it at the house. Bathroom is a lot closer.

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
goin to try doin it w/o pullin the head. got a machinist thats going to extend the bit, tool, and tap for the heli coil so itll reach through the head. anyone know the length of a stud? so i know about how long to make the stuff?

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
goin to try doin it w/o pullin the head. got a machinist thats going to extend the bit, tool, and tap for the heli coil so itll reach through the head. anyone know the length of a stud? so i know about how long to make the stuff?
The drill bit and helicoil tap are larger than the stud - I bet it doesn't fit down the clearance hole in the head for the stud......plus you'll have to get all the shavings and chips out of the hole, put loctite on the helicoil, break the tang off after its installed, etc....

Pull the engine and then the head.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts