Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am fairly new the the diesel thing. Ive always worked on gas engines and am pretty decent with them.
I always wanted a 7.3 Obs, so i decided to get one a little on the rough side, fix her up and enjoy.
When I got the truck I was told that it had a weak injector that missed when it was warm, which it did. Id also like to add it smoked white like the dickins on start up when cold.
I knew it needed the injectors replaced/rebuilt. I did a bunch of research and decided to go to 160cc.
To have my injectors rebuilt it would have cost upwards of $1000. But to rebuild them myself it was $500. So me being me I did research and rebuilt them myself ( I know this was a bad idea not knowing anything about them but I did it anyway)
I broke them all down and cleaned them well and put them back together with the 160 intensifier pistons.
When I put them back in the the truck I oiled them very well and tapped them in with a rubber mallet.
Took awhile to get the truck started (to be expected) and it smoked blue while it blew all the crap out then quit
But here is where I started to run into issues.
I drove it to see how it would act, and it was bad.
It ran okay but it would still smoke blue and sometimes white. But when i would floor it it would miss very hard and roll coal.....
I took it over to a friend of mine that is very good with 6.0s and he suggested that I may have rolled an o ring while installing.
I didnt want to pull them again in the worst way. But I eventually caved and did.
Every oring was perfect, not rolled or pinched. Then I thought maybe I rebuilt them wrong. So I broke them all down again to make 100% sure they were all correct.
They were perfect, nozzles where perfect, no springs broken (I found several broken when I rebuilt them the first time), all spaced to .002 under the armature, everything was fine
After more research I found that maybe the injectors werent fulled seated when I installed them the first time (which I doubted but I am running out of solutions)
This time when I put them in I oiled them up and definitely seated them fully.
Got the truck running and let it have enough time to work all the air out of the system.
So now when I it runs pretty good, but the issues is that if I give it throttle slowly and gradually it doesnt miss, runs perfect, But when I floor it, it misses from 2000rpm to 2500rpm then comes out of it.
It will only do it if I'm in high gear and going a little slower then give it more throttle. When I say floor it I dont mean it literally more like giving it more throttle when i typically would.
It is a 5 speed. Also it doesnt smoke at all now. Not even roll coal.
I checked the coolant and there isnt any oil in it as a blown head or diesel in it as bad injector cups.
All the solenoids tested okay.
It has a new lift pump, and on a high performance tune (but not an outrageous one)
I know this is an insane amount of reading but I wanted to cover all the bases that Ive been through so far.
Please help! Im losing my mind!
Thanks in Advance
Betsy.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Betsy,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you do have a chip with tunes on it. Are the tunes that you have correct for the size of injector you are using? Have the injectors been flow tested to see if they are all pushing the same (or close to it) amount of fuel? Canned tunes usually don't work well. Most of the folks recommend a Hydra as it has a usb post and you can download tunes to it without taking it out and sending it out. Just do a search for tuners on the forum there are several that have been recommended.

Cj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As for the tune that’s on the truck, I took it and had it tuned with what they called a “standard high performance” so not like break your neck high performance basically like a street tune for the Obs. I haven’t had them flow tested but I do have a shop close by that can do it. Maybe I should give that a go. I’ll look into a better tuning system and that could help with my issues. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it

Betsy

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah... "standard high performance" tunes are more likely to not work. I would get tunes specific to the way you have set your injectors up. The flow testing will establish that your injectors are all pushing the same amount of fuel. Having different fuel rates in your injectors will cause the engine to run a bit rough.

Cj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I’ll do some searching on tuners and see what I can come up with. I’ll post an update when I get something figured out!

betsy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts