Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting pulled out of semi-retirement by client requests which means my personal 7.3, cc, 4x4 03', is going back on the road. Its had minimal use over the last four years. The truck will be travelling across the country to various projects over the coming years plus I am looking at buy a large piece of property in another state, (getting out of this S-Hole California)

Over the last couple months as I can get parts in I have been doing some PM and upgrades. Going to swap out the tranny in the next couple of days, and part of that included installing a Mishimoto tranny cooler.

Now I am down to the radiator. Never had any cooling issues and its been flushed etc... on a regular maintenance schedule. About three years ago I started seeing a slow loss of fluid from the Degas bottle. The fluid level would drop down below the where the upper radiator tank mounts to the radiator itself. Also I started seeing a lite white splatter on the front of the engine, and a powdery residue where the tanks mount on the top and bottom of the radiator. I'm guessing the rubber seals are finally giving out and I am getting a very slight weeping from the seal which is causing the splatter as the truck fan runs.

1) Have any of you just had the OEM radiator flushed and re-sealed? I am figuring the radiator is 20 years old, well maintained but wondering if its really worth the effort to drop it off at my go to shop and have them pressure test it, dip it and reseal it.

2) I get a corporate discount from my Ford Dealer and I was pretty surprised to find that my cost on a OEM radiator was just shy of $500. I am not opposed to putting one in, but I also want to look at alternatives. First I am not going to with a cheap brand radiator, money is not the issue. I cannot afford to have a failure in the coming years with the amount of traveling and mileage I am about to put on this truck. So with that said I am looking for any feedback on the Mishimoto Radiator.

3) any alternative radiator suggestions?

·
Administrator
33,253 Posts
the tranny cooler from MISHI has been ok as far as forum feedback but I would skip their radiator and anything else they sell
Performance brand radiator is a large seller with lots of local outlets

1 - 2 of 2 Posts