Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
$HUNGRY6.0
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to upgrade wheels and tires. I have a 4.5" lift on the front of my 06 f350 srw. My goal is to run 315/70r18 open country's which is roughly 36x13. If I go with a 4.5"bs wheel would they clear?

·
Registered
60 Posts
II seen people fit 37s on a 4inch lift, now how much cutting they had to do I'm not sure....I've always seem to think you need 6inch to clear 37s with out to much rub...but I could be wroung

·
$HUNGRY6.0
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been researching on here for days about it and most ppl say 35s are fine. The few that say they've run 37s with a small lift attribute their success to proper wheel backspacing and minor trimming. How "minor" I don't know but my biggest concern is rubbing a hole in the tire and making it dangerous. My truck is a cclb and already has a horrible turn radius lol

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
I run 37s in the summer with my 4 inch lift and have been for 5 years (35s in the winter) with 4.50 backspace and dont rub. I had to trim the black plastic on a forward slant about an inch but that was it. Now when I had less backspace on my other wheels (deeper dish on the outside and not sure what there backspace were) they would rub the bottom of the fenders a tad halfway threw full steering one way that is till they rolled the very bottom of the fender (where ya dont see) up about a quarter inch but since I went with these wheels with 4.50 backspace and unrolled the fenders back down I still never rub even at full twist offroad. I have a leaf spring 02 but should be any different then coil on lift and wheel rubbing.

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
leaf vs coils is a whole different requirement
leaf and the offset require less lift

my opinion on the OP's coilsprung truck that if your 37's are true in size like mine are
I needed an eight inch lift to have no trimming and no body interference when wheeling
specially while turning and hitting a bump

you can get by with less specially if u use cutouts

you won't rub a hole in the tire you will likely slice it

·
$HUNGRY6.0
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol ya id like to keep the tires in tact. Forgive me if I sound stupid but for a given wheel width, say 9", with a backspace of 4.5", that's right at the centerline meaning half the tire width is on the putter portion and half on the inner? What if I ran wheels with say a 3" backspace? That should solve inner rubbing but does it make the fender more of an issue?

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
IDK i didn't search for special offsets
Mine were already on the truck it's just a common offset for most 8x170 mm rims of my size and width

·
$HUNGRY6.0
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm going with toyo open country mt 315/70/18 so I'll find out soon enough

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Thanks zmann didnt know they varied that much between coil n leaf. Glad I got leaf lol but coil does ride alot better.

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
took Me a few threads to pick up on the difference you woud think a 6 inch lift would clear the same rubber on any F truck

in threads where the year of the truck isn't mentioned and both coil and leaf guys are giving their info it gets all convoluted until you figure out what year the OP is asking about LOL

·
$HUNGRY6.0
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got the wheels and tires on...with my 4.5" lift they still rubbed the plastic lip under front bumper (removed it and trimmed the corners of the actual bumper for extra clearance. They also rubbed the fender liner so I trimmed that and the actual fender a bit. All in all they fit good now but I'll be getting cutout flares soon to be safe.
My wheels are atx mojave 18x9.5" -24 offset and 4.3" back space. Tires are close to 36" and almost 13" wide. I'll try n post a decent pic soon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts