Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know using blocks is illegal in most states but how is using a mini spring pack not the same as using a block? In essence it's the same thing.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
it's a workaround in terminology block/spring and some are even faux spring look alike to fool enforcement
the center pin going through the spring /block/minipack is the key variable from a regular block and does enhance safety

you will also notice the mini pack has a grater spring contact area than most regular blocks then tapers down the the normal size at the spring pad

that helps stability also IMO

no endorsements just a Google images
note the block typically does not through bolt

another safe option IMO is you can also build up the spring pad if you are a competent welder

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm interested in getting the spring pack like the first picture you posted. I'm assuming there's a divot in the top of the minispringpack for my stockers to sit in and the bottom of the springpack has a pin to sit on the pad? Or is there a replacement pin that will go thru my stock springs and into the springpack to make it into one unit?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also i saw a minispringpack tht provided 3.5" of lift. Is this considered safe? I know most are 2-2:1/2 inches.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
the first one has a new center bolt that has a pin on the end
you remove the existing one that goes through the spring and replace thereby tying them all together

I can't say if the 3.5 or even 2.5 is safe for the front i sure would use them before a block that had a pocket and pin like you see for the rear in the last pic

the second picture is probably the safest other than new springs or the shackle offerings that I am not "up on" since I run coils

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
I say if you want to level. Go with some x code springs or a hanger kit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the first one has a new center bolt that has a pin on the end
you remove the existing one that goes through the spring and replace thereby tying them all together

I can't say if the 3.5 or even 2.5 is safe for the front i sure would use them before a block that had a pocket and pin like you see for the rear in the last pic

the second picture is probably the safest other than new springs or the shackle offerings that I am not "up on" since I run coils

Thanks for the info brother ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I say if you want to level. Go with some x code springs or a hanger kit.

I would do X springs but I'm looking for the cheapest way to go and hangers from icon are priced insane. I'm trying to stay with 315/75-16 size everything looks to small on our trucks for my taste

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
I'm going to say that going the cheap route will come to bite you in the end. The ride usually suffers the most. Try taking a trip to your local junk yard and see if they have any x codes. They should only run you $100-$200

·
Registered
158 Posts
Even with X-codes or any type of level a person really needs to get an adjustable track bar. Cheapest I have found is $100.

There are drop brackets for the track bar as well but they seem cheap to me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Like stated earlier having the bolt pass through the entire pack and lift pack is why its fine. I think you would be fine running a mini pack lift to gain a couple inches. However if your truck has the stock springs since new they are probably well worn by now and upgrading to new x-code springs would probably be the best bet, or buy the new springs coded at what they were stock and then if you still want a touch more lift add the mini pack. Personally wouldn't get used springs because springs do wear out and you could order new springs for about as cheap as used. As for a track bar I do not believe there was a difference between track bars from the factory with different code springs. A simple call to the dealership to be certain. If you add some spring packs to some x-codes though it might be worth looking into but after you lift and get an alignment they could help you decide if it is needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts