Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen that a few of the people on here are in a branch of the military. i was wondering if anyone had any information about what branch is better then the other, or offer more insentives. i knw they all have the same pay, benifits and all, but what one has the most pros to it i guess i want to say.

im about to turn 18 and almost done with my senior year of high school. any help would be cool, and appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, I guess it depends on what you want out of the Military. I've been in the Army a little over 10 years now and love it. If your looking to do just 4 years, learn a trade and get out I would say look into the Air Force, Navy, or non combat MOS's (Jobs) in the Army or Marines. If you're a highly competitive guy in good shape and want to jump out of planes and kill people then look into the Army Infantry (Airborne, Rangers, SF), Navy SEALS, or Marine Infantry.
No one service is better than the other since we all have different options to offer.

·
Diesel Huffer
908 Posts
:whs: It all depends on what your looking for, type of training or job. I did 5 years in the marines and don't regret one second of it, my wife is currently navy do to the job she wanted and I'm going back in but navy this time to be able to get stationed with her. But when you talk to recruiters tell them not to sugarcoat or blow smoke, that way you can form a better idea,

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Like everyone else said, if you want to learn a trade tell the recruiter what you want. I enlisted in the Navy almost 14 years ago because I didn't want to sit through college classes. I was already accepted to 3 different schools. My first 18 months in the Navy were school. I learned to work on some cool stuff (avatar). 10 years in they made me an officer. If you have any sort of work ethic you will excell in any branch. Each service will offer bonuses for different jobs. If you take the ASVAB, take it serious. It will determine what jobs you qualify for.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions after talking with a recruiter. There are quite a few active, retired, and prior service guys here. All will have different experiences good and bad.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've been in the Marines for almost 4yrs now and it has been a good experience for the most part.

No branch is "better" than any other, just different experiences. You can do pretty much any field of work in any branch, with a few extreme exceptions.

Air Force has a better quality of life, so if you're doing 4yrs and getting out I'd say go with them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am active duty AF. Two of my brothers were Marines. For me it was only AF or Marines and to figure it out my brother told me if I wanted the attitude and state of mind go Marines, if I wanted a good life and college go AF. I went AF and have not had any regrets yet. I have been in for 8+ years and workin on my 20. But it all comes down to you, what you want to do, and what you are lookin for. I cant speak for the other branches but the AF is the best in my own opinion.
matt z

·
Diesel Huffer
908 Posts
It also depends on which base you get with the marines 29 palms barracks are decent but when I was in miramar. The brks rock room to yourself all that, and all branches get college after if you so choose the va handles that not the branch you served in, and some jobs are totally different in certain branches, and if you are looking for any sort of medical field job the marines don't offer it.

Like my job the af would have had me getting all the extra certs the school house offers where as the marines are harder to get in to.

·
Registered
654 Posts
10-4 on what everybody said l. Just depends on what u want to do. They are all good jobs if u ask me they all keep me safe at home so I thank all of u for that my best friend just left for BC monday at OK Fort Seal he's going to learn how to setup and lonch long Rand misoles. I'm thanking about joining as well I want to be a micanic in the Army just pick somthing u like to do not what everybody wants u to do and I bet u will love it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Im enlisting in the Army this week pending my MEPS physical. It was between Army and Marines for me and Army offered more MOSs that I am considering.

·
Still learning
577 Posts
I have to agree with what is stated above, it all depends on what you want to do. I been in the Army (NG) 3 and a half yrs but have been on active duty orders the whole time and on my 2nd tour to iraq. And I love every minute of it. You also have the option of a reserve component in any branch, I would say try the reserve if you are not 100% sure that the military is for you, if you get in and decide that it is what you want to do the you can always transfer to be active duty, on the other hand if you get in and hate it you only have to do it one weekend a month. Once again that is just a option, i am by no means trying to discourage you and I applaud you wanting to serve your country, but you are young and the military is a VERY big decision and one that is not for everyone and shouldnt be taken lightly. Best of luck on your decision.

·
<< Very Soon
342 Posts
As stated by all the others No one is better than the other. I'm a former Army Ranger, and everyday reflect on my experiences while serving. What you need to think about is were you want to be after you get out, lets say you go for something in Aviation Air force or Army Aviation depending on your liking. Which ever branch you decide to serve with, you will have the unique opportunity like no one else in the world can have. The opportunity to be an American soldier. Best wishes on your future!

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
My grandfather was Army, my one bro in law Marines, My other bro in law retired Air Force last year, and I had 8 1/2 in the Navy. Looking back I should have stuck it out, I'd be retired by now myself. I always thought my bro in law in the AF had it the easiest. Talk with each recruiter, don't be afraid to ask questions and you'll make a choice you'll be happy with.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
I've been in the US Coast Guard for over 17 years,.....small military service,...big job.

Rank has it's privileges....your first couple years will not be all fun and games,..but it gets better.

·
Still learning
577 Posts
:whs:

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
I've been in the US Coast Guard for over 17 years,.....small military service,...big job.

Rank has it's privileges....your first couple years will not be all fun and games,..but it gets better.
I thought it was that way all branches.LOL

·
Failure to Communicate
1,133 Posts
I did 6 years in the USMC and just sent my son off to the Air Force, it is just easier to get something you can use in the future in the AF I told him I was just lucky.

He just got down to Monterey for school and is liking it, told him he is set for life after that school.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts