Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
green member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles do the fuel lab fuel pump users have on them?

Last year I drove 33,000 miles and don't wanna have issue like the fass have and need to keep a spare in the tool box. I can't afford to be left stranded in the field at 11pm needing to be at work next morning.:mad:

My stocker with 175k has started dropping fuel pressure down to 35-40psi at the regulator. I've got the ******* gauge taped to the windshield so I can check if it's dropping at the filter housing too. If not then I'll have to redesign my fuel system.:confused:

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
There was at least 2 fail...not sure on if they were using stock wires, iirc one was relayed with larger wiring . Not sure on filtering system or linr sizes either. All of which can make a diff. Pull too much a load on thin wires through a resrictive system and you will kill any pump

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
I probably have about 10000-15000 miles on mine since January when I installed it. I have not had any problems with it so far.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
intrested as well..my 402 pump and sump should be here today...

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
How many miles do the fuel lab fuel pump users have on them?

Last year I drove 33,000 miles and don't wanna have issue like the fass have and need to keep a spare in the tool box. I can't afford to be left stranded in the field at 11pm needing to be at work next morning.:mad:

My stocker with 175k has started dropping fuel pressure down to 35-40psi at the regulator. I've got the ******* gauge taped to the windshield so I can check if it's dropping at the filter housing too. If not then I'll have to redesign my fuel system.:confused:
if you want to keep the gauge in the window...i made this not so red neck pod and it works very well..

·
green member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I probably have about 10000-15000 miles on mine since January when I installed it. I have not had any problems with it so far.
That's what I like to hear!

Too bad there aren't more users responding with that many miles...or any other actual Fuelab pump owners posting miles at all.:(

if you want to keep the gauge in the window...i made this not so red neck pod and it works very well..

*******'s all good for me...I rolled that way for years! Got the in cab gauge on the regulator and the outside gauge usually is tucked under the hood except for troubleshooting purposes.;)

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
There was a thread on this a while back, I see if I can find it and get a link.
One pump was similar to the itp size, the other was sized like the one charles
Had . I would give dennis a call pm etc he would know I would think.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I have the 41401, and about 4k miles on it. It has been back 2 times for circuit board issues. I do have one of the earlier pumps though, and they were sensitive to voltage. It's updated now though, so we will see how it does.

Dave

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Mine is acting good now that I sent it back to Fuelab and they went through and updated it. Wasn't too impressed to start with but it does put out the fuel.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Fuel labs pumps sure do seem to be having a number of issues posted but them everything is magnified on the net. But unlike other their seems to be with the electronics not the actual pumps. Walbros seem to die after about 30K or 1 year. Aero depending on model have had issues. I tend to wonder if putting a lift pump of proper volume but lower pressure to help on the suction side of the system to take some of the load off the higher pressure pump. Sump would likely help as well

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
The Fuelab pump is a vane type pump with C/F paddles which slide in a rotary housing. The centrifugal force of the rotating housing insures positive sealing of the vanes against the pump housing throughout the life of the pump.

After owning a Fass, I'm looking forward to putting some miles on my Lab.
My Fass was in the shop 3 times in 20,000 miles. Everything from the motor failing to the pump not building pressure internally.

Just my $0.02.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
I've got less than 5k on mine. It works flawlessly if you have your whole fuel system set up right. If one thing is out of whack, you will fight problems from day one. Trust me, I know.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
if you want to talk about fuel pump failures the best guy to talk to seems to be charles. but he only post down in smack talk.
charles has tried and killed about 2 of every kind of pump.
including but not limited to: stockers, 2 sx, 2 aeromotive a1000, 2 walbros etc.
so far he has had great luck with his fuel lab, due to its brushless design.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm working on a dual sd pump kit

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
I noticed that mine does not like to work well if the voltage drops on my batteries. I had some charging issues on my truck and the battery voltage would drop but with my charging system all in check I have never had a problem with it.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Dual Stock SuperDuty pumps FTW!

If you need reliability... that's all I gotta say. They simply work.

I ran up to nearly 600 RWHP with them... just over 600 RWHP on a walbro...

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I think the Fuel labs look good so far and have most everything going for them in design but they need to get more miles of use on them and in larger numbers till IMHO they can be labeled as long lasting and reliable. At least from what has been posted online there have not been enough run for long enough periods to make that deduction and they have had a number with issues.

Not trying to say that they are not going to prove to be a long lasting and durable pump but 5K, 15K, 20K, even 30K is not exactly what I would call proof of that. Many drive that easily in a year and a number of other pumps have lasted that long only to fail and now labeled by many as unreliable becasue of this. I do think they will end up being shown to be a long lasting pump but it seems they are still tweaking a few things.

At least for a DD setup. Comparing that to the lower cost and long proven reliablity of the Bosche SD pumps which have been shown to be able to supply fuel for up to 400hp in single design and 600-650 in a dual parallel setup. Many of these outlasting the engines at 200-300K. With a dual setup you also have some redundancy where you would still not end up stuck should one fail. They can also be picked up in most any salvage yard for under $50.

·
2nd class citizen
797 Posts
I have the 41401 fuel lab pump with 20k on it and has worked flawless.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts