Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles would you buy a 6.4 with? im looking for an f350 4x4 dually to replace my 7.3 with.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
i too would keep the 7.3 truck unless the body is shot... no need to waste money on a new truck if yours is working and looking ggod still.

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
i too would keep the 7.3 truck unless the body is shot... no need to waste money on a new truck if yours is working and looking ggod still.
Good point.
I needed the auto and adjustable pedals so my purchase was a must vs my 7.3 6spd.

Save the $$ and/or build the 7.3. There are some perks but is it worth the new payment?

I miss my 7.3 in some respects, I don't regret the 6.4 but i hate the payment.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 7.3 has no dents to speak of, no rust, new tranny, new axle, rebuilt front end. I have taken perfect care of it. Its just a single wheel and im doing some hot shots with a 40ft gn. I really need a dually and dont have the need for two diesels.

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
Lower what you have, add a dually rear end. Get from the junkyard cheap, simple rebuild and there you go.
Besides the "new' rear end, you will know the truck and trans, and how reliable it will be.

·
Need more power!!
358 Posts
So the 6.4 is that bad that everyone is trying to talk the guy out of one? The OP was asking how many miles was to many when looking at buying one not if he should keep his truck. :poke:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
no it cant be that bad but why spend the money if there is no need? mabey if you got the money to burn then yeah but even then might as well by new if you got money to burn.

·
Registered
266 Posts
True this engines will go a long way. Just take into consideration all the other wearable parts. When I bought my 01 7.3 it had 185k and the engine worked like a charm, unfortunately everything esle needed maintnance like, brakes,rotors, calipers, ball joints, u joints, shocks, steering box, ac compressor, up pipes, water pump, paint etc. After I fixed everything it was great but would probably would have been better off buying a lower mileage truck. My 08 King Ranch I bought with 56k. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
my dad is a diesel mechanic of 25+ years... he says 6.0 6.4's are junk. always in his shop for repairs... gotta take the cab off to work on them, parts are super expensive... says go with a 7.3 or swap in a cummings

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am more than likely going to swap it to a dually. Everything i read is making me think this is the best option. I have heard the mileage sucks and im working on 200k and a friend has one that has 430k and never touched it. Havent heard of to many 6.4 do that.

·
09 6.4
988 Posts
my dad is a diesel mechanic of 25+ years... he says 6.0 6.4's are junk. always in his shop for repairs... gotta take the cab off to work on them, parts are super expensive... says go with a 7.3 or swap in a cummings
i hope he didn't pronounce "cummins" the way you spelled it :pointlaugh: and 6.0's and 6.4's are not junk they had a few design flaws that can easily be eliminated and most of the time the proper maintenance was not kept up on the engine and the mechanic who is working on it is usually the problem...just my opinion

·
09 6.4
988 Posts
I am more than likely going to swap it to a dually. Everything i read is making me think this is the best option. I have heard the mileage sucks and im working on 200k and a friend has one that has 430k and never touched it. Havent heard of to many 6.4 do that.
considering the 6.4 is only 3-4 years old and the 7.3 is atleast 12, thats a pretty good reason the 6.4 hasnt proven to run 400k + miles...:blah:

·
Diesel Therapist
153 Posts
6.4 is good to go with an early DPF delete at least. EGR delete would be good to do too, but hard to reverse(lol) for warranty or PM service. So just block em off and deactivate with tunes till you do. This alone will eliminate most non fuel related issues. THe fuel system does require additives (IMHO) to keep in shape along with good fuel. Par for the course for newer diesels however. Mileage is good with the delete and Spartan tunes. 20 MPG overall (sometimes more sometimes less) dry on the highway. Great motor with the Pencil Pusher's added junk removed. Nearing 70K, tow heavy often, many highway miles, and the kid's taxi. It has been tunes since 35K, no issues at all.....knock on wood ;)

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
i hope he didn't pronounce "cummins" the way you spelled it :pointlaugh: and 6.0's and 6.4's are not junk they had a few design flaws that can easily be eliminated and most of the time the proper maintenance was not kept up on the engine and [I]the mechanic who is working on it is usually the problem...just my opinion[/I]
o no you didnt lol
:dfpsn:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.