Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I heard something ping the other day backing over a pile of snow/ice in 2wd so I unlocked the passenger side hub and kept the driver side locked in and the front drive shaft was spinning does this mean I have a bad driver side hub?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
it means you have an open front differential

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rich, I believe that you can do some testing by jacking up one wheel and locking that hub. Then manually turn the wheel, it should spin the axle on the jacked up side. The other axle should spin the opposite direction because that hub is not locked in and because that axle comes out of the other side of the carrier. You can listen and feel any roughness in bearings or clunking in the differential.
If either hub is locked, the drive shaft will rotate when the truck is moving. Sometimes, the drive shaft will spin even with the hubs unlocked because of friction in the differential and in the hubs.
Another way to listen for noises is to jack all four wheels up, lock the hubs, start the engine, put in neutral, engage 4X4, put in drive and listen for strange noises. Depending on how much each brake caliper is dragging, there may only be one wheel spinning in front and one wheel in back depending on the rpm of the drive train. The rear limited slip will engage when there is enough difference in speed. Probably I have part of this wrong, but someone else could chime in and correct me. Larry

·
Registered
905 Posts
i dont think you have 4wd if either side lockout is broke. not to hard to pop it off and look. it takes 15 minutes or less. i have milemarkers also, hard to believe one of those heavy bastards broke. but maybe. i would look. but only if the 4wd isnt working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts