Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to tear into my truck for a "mild" build and I am looking for suggestions as to what else to do while I'm in there. I currently have a II 62/70 turbo and I am getting a set of 190cc sticks from Casserly. I also have a new set of heads to put on as one of mine is cracked. I was wondering if there would be any benifit to having a mild port and polish job done while I have them at the machine shop. I was also looking into a Fluidampner as it would be a cakewalk to replace while the cab is up. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, however I do have limited income to spend on this as the wife is limiting meLOL

I already have all the supporting mods, just looking for some more things to do while the cab is in the air. Thank you for your help guys and gals:rockon:

-French

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
Make sure who ever does the port job knows what they are doing!!!

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have done a couple of good running 6.0's around me. I trust their work. Thanks for looking out though.

-French

·
Lead-Don't follow.
990 Posts
If you're looking to save money, you can start by canning the Fluidampr. Haven't heard any good from it, and all the highest hp 6.0s are running stock balancers. That tells you something there.
Port and polished is nice for air flow, but even when done to it's limits, it'll gain roughly 25rwhp give or take a few. So you have to weigh the cost versus the gains. I had the option, but held off when doing my build.
As stated above me, always good to have a solid shop doing the work who has seen and worked on 6.0s before. Sounds like you have that covered, which is great.
Guessing that since you mentioned supporting mods, that studs are already in place. Make sure they are torqued to 270 pounds to hold strong with the extra fuel and (minimally) added heat you'll be pushing into the motor now.
Other areas- check both pumps, high pressure and low pressure oils. Make sure your electrical wiring on top of the motor is cleaned up and not wearing. Look into your FICM, possibly put on a tuned one while you have the motor down, won't hurt to throw on a mild tuned FICM from Innovative when it goes back on, to back up the 190s you're putting in.
I'm just thinking of simple, yet effective things that won't break the bank. Sounds like you have some good hard parts in place and now you'll have some new goodies to back them up.
Hope this helps some :D

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're looking to save money, you can start by canning the Fluidampr. Haven't heard any good from it, and all the highest hp 6.0s are running stock balancers. That tells you something there.
Port and polished is nice for air flow, but even when done to it's limits, it'll gain roughly 25rwhp give or take a few. So you have to weigh the cost versus the gains. I had the option, but held off when doing my build.
As stated above me, always good to have a solid shop doing the work who has seen and worked on 6.0s before. Sounds like you have that covered, which is great.
Guessing that since you mentioned supporting mods, that studs are already in place. Make sure they are torqued to 270 pounds to hold strong with the extra fuel and (minimally) added heat you'll be pushing into the motor now.
Other areas- check both pumps, high pressure and low pressure oils. Make sure your electrical wiring on top of the motor is cleaned up and not wearing. Look into your FICM, possibly put on a tuned one while you have the motor down, won't hurt to throw on a mild tuned FICM from Innovative when it goes back on, to back up the 190s you're putting in.
I'm just thinking of simple, yet effective things that won't break the bank. Sounds like you have some good hard parts in place and now you'll have some new goodies to back them up.
Hope this helps some :D
Thanks for the advice. Forgot to mention that I already have a moderate tuned FICM on the truck. However I am planning on modding it to put out 58V. Also, what about an oil cooler rebuild while I'm in there?

-French

·
Registered
475 Posts
Trusted will have another oil cooler kit similar to that here soon. as to whether its going into production is another story, there will be some kits running around soon though.

·
reluctant ford fan
127 Posts
IMO the oil cooler is one of the primary problems on the 6.0. I have the Liberator kit on mine, works good but does compromise a/c performance in summer. I like the bulletproof kit better because their air/oil cooler sits down low and doesn't preheat the airflow going into the a/c condenser, intercooler, and radiator. Either one gets rid of one huge failure point and is a necessary mod in my book. Of course this is coming from someone who went through 4 EGR and oil coolers (and 2 sets of head gaskets) before having to solve the problem out of warranty!

·
The Unseen Mod
4,123 Posts
Yes the oil cooler delete is a good idea honestly, but the price these guys are selling it for is crazy stupid. I can find lines and cooler for under 300 bucks thats bigger then theres only thing I would have to do is fab up the oil cooler and change it, I dont understand why they didnt go that route instead of spending and wasting money building a piece of crap and looks like crap. You can fab up the OEM cooler to become a delete version.

·
reluctant ford fan
127 Posts
...You can fab up the OEM cooler to become a delete version.
That's basically what Liberator has done, which is likely why their kit is significantly cheaper than Bulletproof's. But still not cheap! :D

·
The Unseen Mod
4,123 Posts
That's basically what Liberator has done, which is likely why their kit is significantly cheaper than Bulletproof's. But still not cheap! :D

Yes your rite, I know there kit pretty well to.

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to the replies guys. I was thinking about water/meth to help control my EGT's while towing. I've heard that if I do run it, I need to run a mixture of 70% water to 30% meth. Does that sound correct?

-French

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
I believe you're fine as long as you dont exceed a 50/50 mix, however I wouldn't feel comfortable running 50/50 mor like 60/40 or 70/30 like you stated.

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Paintrain, I am making a trip from Ohio to Texas hauling a 28' car hauler with a '63 chevy C10 in it and I don't want my EGT's through the roof the whole trip. Also, would it be a smart decision to get a tow tune for my new combo? When I tow, 9 times out of 10 I will turn my truck back to stock so my EGT's aren't bad, but I would like the added fuel mileage that a tune gives me.

-French

1 - 20 of 36 Posts