Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
<--losser
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the best mods for milage. i know driving smart is a key but there must be something that can be upgraded to help this. all and any imput is wanted :ford:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'll start you off with:

What are you driving exactly? And what conditions do you drive in?

·
<--losser
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have two trucks, a 1988 idi, which has no hope of great milage. the other is a f250 7.3l, 2wd, it has a lame bully dog chip in it, but my dad did that before i could stop him. thanks for the start

·
<--losser
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its also rather flat here in that space between illionois and indiana

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
we have two trucks, a 1988 idi, which has no hope of great milage. the other is a f250 7.3l, 2wd, it has a lame bully dog chip in it, but my dad did that before i could stop him. thanks for the start
I'm surprised at what you said about the IDI. My Crew Cab dually 92' got between 16-18 city hiway w/4.10 gears and 7400lbs. The best my stroke has done was 16 hiway. And now that it's running right and I can't stop running to 80 at every stop it's more like 12 :doh:

I guess the best advice I have is leave it alone because it's "too much fun to make it run!"

·
<--losser
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no this one has some issue, we cant get her to shift our of second gear, and its only a three spead, and its NA she doesn't get any driving time haha

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
fix up the idi... get your self some WMO, Filter it out, and mix it in with #2 depending on temp conditions. Tripple or more your MPG#2 :rockon:

other then that, lot of guys use 2 stroke oil in the diesel... new thread started about Sulpher substitute, i just bought a bottle today and dumped it in... but with the ps antigell and some 2 stroke so who knows if my mpg will move.

loose any weight you dont need from the truck, tires to 80 psi, probably ditch the bully dog, intake & exhaust, fluid's...

do some searching...i know you will find a lot of other information

·
<--losser
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all right then, that was supper helpful thank you. do you have any other suggestions?

·
1,097 Posts
On the 7.3 Powerstroke:

Do all the maintenance stuff (air up tires to sidewall max, get a good alignment, check for dragging disc brakes,203 degree stat)

Don't sweat the chip. They don't much matter.

Don't sweat fluids. They don't matter.

Lose the automatic and get a manual.

Get 3.55:1 gears if you don't already have them. 3.08s are no longer available.

Get a tonneau cover. Better yet, a sloped bed cover.

The 4x2 can be lowered 3" in front and 6" in the rear.

Learn to enjoy coasting up to stop signs.

You should MPG close (within 3-4 MPG) to mine.

·
<--losser
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i have an idi, do the same rules apply? i already cost to stop signs im never in a hurry so i just chill around.

·
<--losser
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do they make injectors that help with milage? did i just ask a realy dumb question?

·
Registered
319 Posts
where did you get the 3.08s dave? i would sure love to have a set of those, mayby i can find a used set? also hiw much diff did they make over the 3.55s

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
On the 7.3 Powerstroke:

Do all the maintenance stuff (air up tires to sidewall max, get a good alignment, check for dragging disc brakes,203 degree stat)

Don't sweat the chip. They don't much matter.

Don't sweat fluids. They don't matter.

Lose the automatic and get a manual.

Get 3.55:1 gears if you don't already have them. 3.08s are no longer available.

Get a tonneau cover. Better yet, a sloped bed cover.

The 4x2 can be lowered 3" in front and 6" in the rear.

Learn to enjoy coasting up to stop signs.

You should MPG close (within 3-4 MPG) to mine.
3.08's.... how does that tow? i have 3.73's and sometimes i wish to have 4.10's. ha ha.

or do you have a different vehicular for towing and such?

·
1,097 Posts
It tows OK. Five tons of building materials, a Bobcat, etc

It would tow better if I had an exhaust brake. Dive-bombing down mountain grades is overly exciting.

My understanding is that 3.08s are no longer available.

·
Registered
49 Posts
if it is cold where you live consider synthetics in the diffs and t case. the synthetics have alot lower gel points(forgot the technical term) than conventional gear oil and will help MPG before they warm up and a little when they are warm. i havent tried it on my PSD yet but on my toyota tacoma i gained 2MPG in the winter, i assume the PSD would be a little less but still not an expensive or time consuming mod that also will help with wear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts