Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody knew why the price of diesel here in Indiana [and midwest] went from $3.69.9 [and cheaper] to $3.99.9 in one day? I googled it and it read that diesel jumped 16.4 cents per gallon in the midwest, and lower increases around the country, but it didn't say why. More like 30 cents here. This is a bunch of crap. The US is now the second largest oil producing nation in the world at 9 million barrels per day, only behind Saudi Arabia. Future generations will look back at this time period as being the biggest consumer ripoff in the history of the planet. OK- I'm done.

·
Guilty on all counts
339 Posts
If you come down to Florida this winter, you should find it considerably cheaper. I filled up today with B20 at $3.29 per gal.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you come down to Florida this winter, you should find it considerably cheaper. I filled up today with B20 at $3.29 per gal.
We're still trying to figure out how we can manage to get down there this winter. I say this "winter" but winter has already arrived here, a month and a half early. I'm still trying how to figure how the laws of supply and demand don't apply to oil [a commodity]. Maybe just some Futures traders trying to line their pockets just a little more.

·
Sabol
82 Posts
Why is diesel more expensive at the pump then gas in the first place. I always hear that diesel is easier to make from crude the gasoline. Is there any truth to that? Im sure state taxes play into the huge spread too, with the number of semi trucks on the road you would think if a state gets outta control with the fuel tax at pump trucks would fill before the border and try to pass thru.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
well some crude is better for certain products than others. after distilling any given batch, there's no guarantee that you'll come out with the same ratios of everything...lets see if i can find a picture...

edit: so if you have heavy crude, you're likely to make more diesel! but for instance canadian tar sand & venisuelan crude doesn't have a lot of light molecule HCs. and look at Pennsylvanian crude, it's full of wax. now take texan & saudi crude, it's probably a lot lighter (not totally sure but i thought they're the big time gasoline producers).

another thing to consider on diesel vs gasoline prices is the fact that the feds now requier all diesel fuel to be Ultra Low Sulfur. adds to the final price.

side note: diesel average around here is about 3.70/gal. i found diesel for 3.22 t a phillips 66 :confused: right across the road it was 3.79 :eek:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rob, thanks for the graphics. I thought I read somewhere that 50% of a barrel of crude went to making unleaded fuel, 30% for various lubricants, plastics etc and 20% for diesel. I sometimes wonder if the general public realizes that high diesel prices directly influence what they pay for most goods consumed/bought. I also read that the US is producing so much oil, their having trouble storing it. Same with natural gas.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
that spread sounds about right for the majority of crude i think.
i'm with you, people in general don't appreciate the trucks out there, let alone the diesel prices lol.
about storing the natural gas, we got so efficient at producing it i bet that's true too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts