Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are not very impressive when it comes to snow. Im actually pretty dissapointed in their performance with even an inch of snow.

With the BFG ATs on my OBS I could run through 4 or so maybe more inches of snow in 2 wheel drive and not slip unless I gave it a good amount of throttle. Just driving cautiously I didnt have to worry about slipping.

Now with these ATZs on my new truck I seriously cant even go through a dusting of snow in 2 wheel drive. The truck just immediately starts sliding even if its just idling. I have to go into 4 wheel drive no matter how much snow is on the ground.

I would have thought that being an all terrain tire they would have performed better than that. Dont get me wrong in 4x4 these tires do great in the snow but in 2 wheel drive they are good for nothing unlike my BFGs where I didnt need to worry about 4x4 unless it was heavy snow. So looks like thats what will be going on next for me. I just like to use 4x4 as little as possible if I dont need to use it.

Just wondering if anyone else had this experience with these since they are so popular. Not saying the tires are bad Im just surprised with how poorly they can grip in snow.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 600 lb. sled in the back of the truck and it made no difference

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, these tires came with the truck. I ran BFGs on both my other trucks, so Ill probably switching to those on this one as well.

These ATZs are really loud too

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
honestly Im never gonna run a BFG tire. I never had any good luck with them.
hmmm its funny how people have all different kinds of experiences with different tires. I know lots of guys love ATZs. I personally have never had one issue with a BFG. But everyone has different opinions

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha yeah Michigan roads definitely arent the best. the BFGs on my OBS have 40k on them and still have plenty of tread left so Ive been very happy with those

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny thing is I bought a set of stock 06 20s with 35x12.50 MT ATZs on them as well to run in the winter, I think Ill take those tires off and use as another set to run in the winter and get some BFGs to run in the winter

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Tha sucks to hear. That's the one thing I have really liked about my terra grapplers was the snow traction, manly braking. Deep/wet snow like mud they aren't great but an a/t situation and winter driver they have done good. At the same time I think I am going to go with something different this time around.

·
28 cent #2
2,874 Posts
BFG all terrains are one o the best all around tires IMO. I had one set of 295's get 72k out of em on my truck and I still old em for 75 bucks. We had 8 inches of snow not to long ago and we really dont get snow but my toyo mts did awesome in 2wd and i am running on some 285 bfg ats on stock wheels now due to some wheel issues and i will say my toyo mts rode better than these half tread all terrains. That is coming from someone that has had 6 sets of bfg ats. I would definately run them or the atz if i wanted to go back the all terrain route.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh one other thing I forgot to add was the stopping abilities in snow are the worst the worst Ive ever seen.

When I was driving up north and was coming up to a stoplight going 30 with about an inch on the road I started lightly applying the brakes. Immediately the ABS kicks on and the truck wont stop. I was pumping the brakes and trying every thing. The truck slid all the way through the intersection. I tried braking waaaay before the light. Thank god nobody was in the intersection

I guess I should look into toyo MTs as well then

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
I have Mickey Thompson ATZ's in a 35X12.50R20 on my F250 and I've drove through all the snow we've had here in Ky and the ONLY time I've used 4X4 was pulling people out of the ditches. I've drove around in 2WD and not had any problems other than sliding around corners because of my long wheel base. I love my ATZ's. I also haven't had any stopping issues with mine, only time i've slid stopping was if I did it on purpose.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See then I wonder why Im not having that same experience with them, I feel like I should be but these tires are under performing big time compared to my BFGs, I just dont get it

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
What tire pressures are you running? Your not having any issues with your abs system are you?

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No abs problems. As for tire pressure I cant remember off the top of my head, I havent checked it in a while. whats the recommended pressure?

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
I run 65psi upfront and 55psi in the rears. If I'm hauling something heavy then I will up the rear tire pressure to 65, but running empty I run 55.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok thanks Ill check the pressure later today, I know the last time I check was about two months ago

1 - 20 of 34 Posts