Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can make a metal to metal screeching or grinding or rubbing sound. It sounds like turbo housing/wheel contact, that type of sound. I checked the shaft and it is fine, but the sound I heard resembles that. It isn't constant or consistent. Going down the highway today I heard it when I let off the throttle, lasted maybe 2 seconds then went away. Only did it maybe 2 times on my 1 hr trip. I have heard it before, like last summer. It sounds like it is coming from the motor somewhere. Just looking for ideas that you guys may have run into similar sounds/problems before.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Front end? Are your hubs locked in? I think that if your front driveshafts were turning, that could resemble a grinding noise?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost positive it's not the front end. Sounded higher in the motor than that, and it's more of a high pitched grind/screech sound, than front end type noises. More like a cut-off wheel on a grinder type of sound. It really sounded like the turbo wheel making contact.

Can the turbo make contact, then after the truck has set for a while and cooled down the shaft not move? The fins looked good and the small amount of noise I heard I don't think would have made noticeable damage. The shaft had the tiniest bit of play up and down, which I am accounting for as normal with there not being oil in the bearings. Definitely not the amount of play my old turbo had when I replaced it.

I wasn't getting on it or anything, just cruising about 75-80mph in a bit of traffic so I wasn't steady on the throttle, a bit of on and off and I heard it when I was letting up. I also heard it when I just took the truck out, as I got on a main road out of the neighborhood, this time I was getting on it a bit. The sound came on as I was getting on it, and again lasted maybe 2 seconds, and dissappeared, it didn't keep going with boost or RPM or anything. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
329 Posts
mine made a screech sound ended up being a front hub bearing mine did it randomly no rhyme or reason tho and had a slight vibration every time it made the noise

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
mine was making a grinding noise, it turned out i had pushed the dp up some and it was rubbing bad on the floor, like oonly under hard throttle when the engine would twist and push it up further

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about the exhaust side of the wheel...
Never thought of checking, figured if the shaft didn't move then it would be the same both sides. I will check it tomorrow. What would cause the exhaust side to travel enough to hit but not the intake?

·
Registered
226 Posts
you said you checked side to side play but did you check in and out play, if the thrust washer gets wore it will allow it to start rubbing the housing, i had one do it an it was most noticeable when turbo was spooling down or at even throttle, when it first started it was pretty random but got worse

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you said you checked side to side play but did you check in and out play, if the thrust washer gets wore it will allow it to start rubbing the housing, i had one do it an it was most noticeable when turbo was spooling down or at even throttle, when it first started it was pretty random but got worse
Yeah I checked all directions the side to side/up down was the only play I got which was minimal.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't get to check exhaust side today, but I'm wondering if there is anything in the transmission that can cause a similar sound? I thought of a better description today when I heard it. It sounds like you have a chain dragging like a trailer chain. I remember hearing this last summer before my trans went out, and I also had other issues with the trans today, so I'm wondering if it is the same problem or two different ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts