Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut the bumper mounts off of my truck with a grinder a few months ago and didn't think about the metals shavings on the paint. Now there are small little rust spots on top the paint I need to remove. My only thought is to clay bar the paint. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
they likely burned in

I have ruined sunglasses and watches doing the same

I have seen windshield and storefront glass with the metal embedded in it also

not sure how to safely dislodge it from paint?

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Wet sanding... Clay bar might get it, they normally melt into the clear.

It happens all the time on the commercial jobs, Glazier puts the windows in, and for some reason someone does some grinding in the general location, and were replacing windows.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I cut the bumper mounts off of my truck with a grinder a few months ago and didn't think about the metals shavings on the paint. Now there are small little rust spots on top the paint I need to remove. My only thought is to clay bar the paint. Any ideas?
There is no way of getting it out, sorry to tell ya. You have strip your paint and repaint. The problem here comes with you don't know how far down the chip melted. It can go all the way threw the primer.

A few solutions to this: this one is labor intensive and has to be done a lot.
You have to use buffing compound and buff your paint, and not with a orbital da waxing buffer a variable speed grinder outfitted with a buffing wheel like wool or foam pad, that will get rid of the rust on the metal shavings then you need to wax the surface to cover the bare metal so it doesnt rust. As long as you keep up on wax you will be able to keep the rust away but if you see the rust come back you have to start all over again with buffing and then wax again.

Another option is buff your paint then wet sand with 1000 grit to prep your paint for another coat of clear. then spray two more coats of clear on it. I have seen people do this with mixed results. You have a 50 50 shot of the clear bubbling because of the oxidation of the metal underneath, but you will not have to wax if it is successful.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts