Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changing the fluid in my 96 power stroke e40d transmission. Ive read a lot of threads about how ford changed their mercon v transmission fluid to be used in the e40d. many say its no good don't use it and some say its fine. most of these posts are also from like 2009 when there was dextron iii around. anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there's also a dex/merc fluid that says its atf type is dextron iii that says its for ford and GM vehicles. the dextron iii is what a lot of old threads say to use so could this be it? The mercon v says for use in only ford. anyone use either of these?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply. that's what i thought just thought id get someone running it to let me know if there's any problems with it

·
Native Texan
9,033 Posts
well i used it in my e4od and had problems but i used castrol mercon V everything I have found says ford changed their formula but most aftermarket hasnt yet so when i put mine back going with ford mercon V. Now to qualify this I am an ASE master tech and My tech line is the one that gave me the information on the mercon V.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,075 Posts
That's not correct.

Any fluid that says MERCON V and was produced after 2005 MUST meet the new MERCON V spec or Ford won't issue a license to put MERCON V on the label.

I am not a Master Tech, but I was a Ford transmission engineer and helped run some of the testing the qualified fluids to get their MERCON licenses.

·
Native Texan
9,033 Posts
That's not correct.

Any fluid that says MERCON V and was produced after 2005 MUST meet the new MERCON V spec or Ford won't issue a license to put MERCON V on the label.

I am not a Master Tech, but I was a Ford transmission engineer and helped run some of the testing the qualified fluids to get their MERCON licenses.
well i stand corrected I just know what my trans tech line told me when I was talking with them on a 6.0l trans problem and we got off on 7.3l. All i know is the castrol mercon v fried my forward clutch on a rebuild and hasnt on ford mercon. So ill use ford fluid for my own peace of mind.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,075 Posts
What is Ford MERCON? Ford never produced MERCON fluid. They licensed the production of MERCON until it was discontinued in 2006. There no longer is ANY fluid that carries a MERCON label. There are fluids that say they are for use in transmissions that required MERCON, but who knows if they still meet the obsolete spec?

·
Native Texan
9,033 Posts
was suppose to be ford mercon V the V got left off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is this the castrol your talking about? the bottle says for use in ford vehicles. so its a ford mercon v correct?

·
Native Texan
9,033 Posts
that's what used last year and lost the forward clutch i went back into trans double checked everything and replace the forward clutch and had it tested (as i am doing a major overhaul on my truck) and used ford mercon v and had no problems maybe there was something wrong with the frictions i got the first time maybe it was a fluid problem but test at a friend trans shop with ford fluid no problems and the cost of the ford fluid was a little less then the aftermarket. so i leave u to ur choices Mark Kovalsky said earlier it should be the same and he worked for ford in trans so he should know what hes talking bought.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I used the O'Reilly's Auto Parts branded Premium transmission fluid that replaces the Dexron's and Mercon's....my last change was 70k ago and is getting done this weekend again...I most likely will use the same fluid. Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks always fun not having a drain plug in the trans pan...ill let ya know if i have any problems

1 - 16 of 16 Posts