Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sponge
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some new wheels but the center caps are plastic :lame: and not deep enough for the rear. More :lame:

So I was hoping I could get a set of stock center caps or alcoa replacements. But I'm not sure if the center hole is the right size. Could someone measure the outside diameter of their caps for me? Or, if you're in the area, could I measure yours?

Thanks!

·
Sponge
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Useless! Every one of ya! :poke:

Fine I'll just order those Alcoa ones that fit under the lug nut covers and hope for the best. If I have to send them back, this thread will have to be moved to the 'smack talk' section.

·
Sponge
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm looking for the outside diameter. And let me know which style yours is. I think there's the type that fit over the lug nuts, ones with tabs inside the lugs, and the type that fits through the center hole from inside.

·
Registered
969 Posts
mine measure 8 3/16

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
The 8 3/16" OEM Ford caps with the tabs only work on the Alcoas made for Ford, with the four cut-outs that the tabs catch on. We bought a set of generic Alcoas off craigslist, that, except for those cut-outs, look just like the Ford rims. But the Ford caps wouldn't work with them, of course. We initally got a set of those generic look-alike caps that match the Ford caps, minus the emblem, and catch on the lug studs with a wire ring inside the cap. Big concern about those caps is how well they stay on. Ours stayed put for months, then for some reason :shrug: they BOTH fell off within a coupla weeks of each other. So we wound up with the "push-through" caps you put through the center hole from the inside, along with chrome capped lug nuts. Only thing is, with a 4x4 you need VERY long nuts, like 2.5" or so, to fit over the rear lug studs.

·
Sponge
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 8 3/16" OEM Ford caps with the tabs only work on the Alcoas made for Ford, with the four cut-outs that the tabs catch on. We bought a set of generic Alcoas off craigslist, that, except for those cut-outs, look just like the Ford rims. But the Ford caps wouldn't work with them, of course. We initally got a set of those generic look-alike caps that match the Ford caps, minus the emblem, and catch on the lug studs with a wire ring inside the cap. Big concern about those caps is how well they stay on. Ours stayed put for months, then for some reason :shrug: they BOTH fell off within a coupla weeks of each other. So we wound up with the "push-through" caps you put through the center hole from the inside, along with chrome capped lug nuts. Only thing is, with a 4x4 you need VERY long nuts, like 2.5" or so, to fit over the rear lug studs.
Yeah, I saw your other post on these things when I was researching before I posted this. Thanks for the additional info. Somebody posted the alcoa part numbers for the push through type (maybe it was you). Do you know if there are specs/dimensions anywhere. I'm curious if they are the right size since my wheels have a recess on the inside surface to hold those type of caps, but they aren't alcoas. So I'm afraid the center hole might be a slightly different size.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Yeah, I saw your other post on these things when I was researching before I posted this. Thanks for the additional info. Somebody posted the alcoa part numbers for the push through type (maybe it was you). Do you know if there are specs/dimensions anywhere. I'm curious if they are the right size since my wheels have a recess on the inside surface to hold those type of caps, but they aren't alcoas. So I'm afraid the center hole might be a slightly different size.
Well, the push-throughs that we got were generic eBay items; I don't have the diameter handy. But now that you mention it, the Ford-specific Alcoas must have a ___slightly___ smaller center-hole, because ours fit fine through the generic Alcoas, but not the Ford-specific ones. If I remember, and find the time (sick wife, sick cat, overtime at work), I'll measure the ID of a Ford-specific vs. the OD of the push-through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts