Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading through a couple threads i decided i was going to start changing my own oil and running synthetic. I decided to give Shaeffers a call just to see what they recommended and price. They said to run the 7000 series at 15w40 weight. Ok here is my dilemma, every person i talked to sounded like the were trying so hard to be a salesman. I mean i all ready called with credit card in hand, yet they wanted to come by my house for an hour and give me a presentation about there oil. To me thats just a little weird. Ever had someone try to get you to be a part of one of those network marketing pyramid scam crap? Well thats how these people seemed on the phone. Also there oil is not a full synthetic, its a blended synthetic so there is still conventional oil in there somewhere. Anyone else have the same results when contacting them?

Anyways i decided just to run Motorcraft Diesel 15w40 till i can make up my mind on which synthetic to run. Not bad though only like $40 to do my oil change my self vs like $120 at the dealership with the same oil.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I recently changed from synthetic rotella to schaeffers 9000 which is full synthetic i believe. I'm very pleased seems to run smoother and start up faster. Go to their site and find dealers in your area if you dont want the house call, you probably will get better prices though straight from the rep.

·
Registered
346 Posts
they have a 5w40 full syn oil. I sell the oil and have always ran it in my diesel trucks and cars I was running the 15w40 oil the 7000 but after reading about the 5w40 oils that other brands are making I called my rep and starting using it instead. They have very good oil and generally the reps are very good. I watch there presentation and from the day on I have been running it. They make some awesome tranny fluid that handles the heat very well and takes alot of abuse. The free oil samples are also nice.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
This is funny cuz my dad was giving me crap about my Pennzoil 5w40 this morning(the previous owner ran it for the first 10k miles of my trucks life). He said "when are you gonna put real oil in that thing?" I said "whats real oil?" He said "Put the Shell(rotella) sh!t in there. Thats what I ran in the Pete and it made it 700k w/o any trouble. Thats good oil for a diesel."

Got me thinking, the old fart might know what he's talking about after 50 years of truck driving. Anybody run the Rotella 15w40? I wanted to go full syn as I just did in our 'new' van, family cruiser. My truck's been running dino oil for so long that I dont think it'll make a difference. Is that a fair asessment? Thanks guys for anything you might add.

·
Registered
295 Posts
me my dad ,uncle ,grandpa have used shaffers for years but just the moly bond conventional oil we have no complaints..... as far as the salesmen are concerned ours has been great he stops by every month or so to check and make sure we arent running low on anything

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Hyper: Schaeffers is one of the top oils. Their Series 9000 5W-40 is an awesome diesel oil, as well as their Series 7000 15W-40, which I think has a more robust additive pkg.

There might be a salesrep within these forums, who won't try to come over and eat all your cookies and icecream, and invite himself for supper. If no one sends u a pm? visit here! They will fix u up, without a house call.

Beans Diesel Performance (Powered by CubeCart)

·
Stirn Again
75 Posts
:peeman:I have been running the 5-40w for a year now with regular oil samples.
I now am getting 8000 mile changes on my last run. With a Mobil 1 filter and no bypass system
This is now my change interval per there recommendations with analysis.
So now when i hit my 8000 i will send in a sample and drain the oil.
Hope they will tell me to increase to a 10,000 mile change,
Which in my book is a winner. I also run there tranny fluid and rearend lube to
And my rep is awesome he has never tried to sell me anything i do not need.:redspotdance:

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Schaeffers is awsome. The dealer i get it from is a cool guy too. I run it in my LS1 camaro and my truck. The camaro forum im on also has members who have said they get THE BEST oil analysis with Schaeffers.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
K i feel better, thanks guys. So you guys think i should go with the 5w40 9000 series or the 15w40 7000 series. I live in central Fl where it gets nice and hot, i dont tow much or sled pull or any of that crazy stuff, and my tuck is not modded to the moon. Just 4" TB exhaust and tuner coming soon. Thanks

·
Registered
969 Posts

·
Stirn Again
75 Posts
;)I am 25 miles from St. Louis and and the place where the products are made. we will see at least 95 degrees on Saturday this week. And that does not include that lovely heat index.
So yes i say it will handle the heat, and more
The 7000 which is a blend does contain more moly and a couple other additives than the 9000 pure syn does. I believe there is some more info on the Bitog forum. This will tell all you need to know about lubricants http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Check out the specs of both oils on there web site
:bowfast:
Schaeffer's Synthetic Motor Oils for Diesel Engines

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
This is funny cuz my dad was giving me crap about my Pennzoil 5w40 this morning(the previous owner ran it for the first 10k miles of my trucks life). He said "when are you gonna put real oil in that thing?" I said "whats real oil?" He said "Put the Shell(rotella) sh!t in there. Thats what I ran in the Pete and it made it 700k w/o any trouble. Thats good oil for a diesel."

Got me thinking, the old fart might know what he's talking about after 50 years of truck driving. Anybody run the Rotella 15w40? I wanted to go full syn as I just did in our 'new' van, family cruiser. My truck's been running dino oil for so long that I dont think it'll make a difference. Is that a fair asessment? Thanks guys for anything you might add.
I ran the rotella for a long time and switched to the valvoline synthetic awhile back. My truck hated the rotella it seems because its quieter and starts easier on the valvoline. I wont be switching back.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so should i go with the 7000 b/c it has more additives or the 9000 because its thicker and is a full synthetic????

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
I ran the rotella for a long time and switched to the valvoline synthetic awhile back. My truck hated the rotella it seems because its quieter and starts easier on the valvoline. I wont be switching back.
Hey, nice to meet you! I have 240k on mine right now, at what mileage did you switch from Rotella to Valvline Syn?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so 16 quarts of 9000 it is. and the 5w40 is good even though ford recommends 15w40

·
All done now
22,486 Posts

I am the same as Crowz. I ran nothing but Rotella, my Dad ran it in his diesels for many years. Back a few years ago, they changed something, our trucks don't like it as much. I switched this last oil change to Valvoline also. Truck seems to like it better.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
K i feel better, thanks guys. So you guys think i should go with the 5w40 9000 series or the 15w40 7000 series. I live in central Fl where it gets nice and hot, i dont tow much or sled pull or any of that crazy stuff, and my tuck is not modded to the moon. Just 4" TB exhaust and tuner coming soon. Thanks
I would recommend the series 7000 15W-40 in Florida. Don't be fooled in thinking a full synthetic is always better than a Synthetic Blend. As Syn said - the 7000 had a better additive package. Schaeffer's uses a 100% pure parraffin base dino oil plus a PAO synthetic in there blend. A Syn Blend can actually be harder to formulate than a full synthetic and full synthetics tend not to hold additives as well. With the blend you get the best of both worlds to speak. Not nocking the 9000 5W-40, it's a great product and if you need better cold start performance than I would use it. It comes down to personal preference - either will do well.

I'm running 10K+ oil change intervals with the series 7000 15W-40 and have been running the 7000 in my 7.3L for 80,000 miles.

Here is a comparison of the additive package:

Rich

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
I am the same as Crowz. I ran nothing but Rotella, my Dad ran it in his diesels for many years. Back a few years ago, they changed something, our trucks don't like it as much. I switched this last oil change to Valvoline also. Truck seems to like it better.
Just saw a Virgin UOA on the New Rotella T6 5W-40. Looks like the added Molybdenum to the additive package. Not as much as Schaeffer's and Delo, but about the same as Valvoline Prem Blue 5W-40.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts