Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just moved to MD and discovered there is a mandatory vehicle inspection for licensing. What should I expect from it? I would prefer to fix stuff myself before the inspection if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Main things I have seen them fail is Ball joints, loose wheel bearing, cracked windsheild, holes in the body, (I had one the size of a bullet whole they failed), cracks in the rear shoes. That is most of the things I can think of they really nit pick for easy money. My wheel bearing was loose and they failed it for ball joint... Just dont make no sense.

·
OBS Strokin'
188 Posts
dont tell the shop that inspects it that they can do all the work. we do inspections all the time and we really pick them apart if we get to do the work. also, make sure they know your keeping the vehical. cause we are alot more leninet because you know whats wrong with you truck and there is less liabilty

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I intend to do all the work, if any. Hopefully that will minimize anything the findings. Thanks!

·
kinda hot in these rhinos
2,481 Posts
It all depends but in general is a pretty strict inspection. If there is any window tint on the truck... it fails...

Normal stuff said above... but its not like in some other states where if your lights, horn, and brakes work your good to go.

The wheels get pulled off and things get checked pretty thoroughly if you go to a respectable inspection station.

Some guys will let tint and other small stuff go, just depends on which station you go to.

Remember the state police enforce the inspections so if there is an inspector who is proven to pass vehicles which shouldnt... he loses his license.

·
OBS Strokin'
188 Posts
It all depends but in general is a pretty strict inspection. If there is any window tint on the truck... it fails...

Normal stuff said above... but its not like in some other states where if your lights, horn, and brakes work your good to go.

The wheels get pulled off and things get checked pretty thoroughly if you go to a respectable inspection station.

Some guys will let tint and other small stuff go, just depends on which station you go to.

Remember the state police enforce the inspections so if there is an inspector who is proven to pass vehicles which shouldnt... he loses his license.
just wanna correct ya a little. we acually have a new tool that mesures the amount of light that is let through the window so as long as the tint is legal, (30 or 35%) whatever it is, youll be fine with tint. not sure wat other shops do with tint

yes wheels get pulled off, rotors, pads, drums, and shoes all get mic and have to be within specs. no extreme fluild leaks. tires tread better then the wear bar. headlight alignment. parking brake and high beam indicators must work properly. all dash lights. all seatbelts must work and all doors must be able to open inside and out. drivers seat must be functioning ( move back and forth) drivers window must go up and down. i do admit some things on the list are a little rediculous but ya gotta thank maryland for that.

and upinsmoke70 is right, if an inspector lets something through, the liabilty is on him and can get their lisences suspened but remember, if your letting the shop that inspects it do the work, the brake pads coulld just barley be legal but they could fail it for that so they get the work. trust me:doh:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
just wanna correct ya a little. we acually have a new tool that mesures the amount of light that is let through the window so as long as the tint is legal, (30 or 35%) whatever it is, youll be fine with tint. not sure wat other shops do with tint

yes wheels get pulled off, rotors, pads, drums, and shoes all get mic and have to be within specs. no extreme fluild leaks. tires tread better then the wear bar. headlight alignment. parking brake and high beam indicators must work properly. all dash lights. all seatbelts must work and all doors must be able to open inside and out. drivers seat must be functioning ( move back and forth) drivers window must go up and down. i do admit some things on the list are a little rediculous but ya gotta thank maryland for that.

and upinsmoke70 is right, if an inspector lets something through, the liabilty is on him and can get their lisences suspened but remember, if your letting the shop that inspects it do the work, the brake pads coulld just barley be legal but they could fail it for that so they get the work. trust me:doh:
I just became a inspection station in WV....its crazy all the stuff you have to check...and like you said liabilty is on the inspector so they make sure everything is ok. I'm from KY where if it has wheels and motor your legal LOL...

·
kinda hot in these rhinos
2,481 Posts

yeah you were right... someone had told me if there is any aftermarket tint then the vehicle wont pass inspection... but maryland department of motor vehicles states 35% light must pass through...

so 35% tint is legal

·
OBS Strokin'
188 Posts
yeah you were right... someone had told me if there is any aftermarket tint then the vehicle wont pass inspection... but maryland department of motor vehicles states 35% light must pass through...

so 35% tint is legal
yeah i couldnt remeber if it was 30 or 35 so there ya go lol thanks

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
My borther just got his 20% passed and tires that have no tread:shrug: I guess it all depends on who you take it to.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am pretty sure they didn't put a cat on in 97 thought that started in like 01 or somethin someone correct me if i am wrong.

·
OBS Strokin'
188 Posts
im not sure if it was to be there during the inspection. but even though diesel dont go throught emissions, they still legally have to have a cat so my guess is it probley has to be there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts