Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought my truck used and i need to add some antifreeze and need to know if there is some special i have to use? it has green coolant in it now. what to i need to know or do to add some?
04 f250 6.0

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
If its got green in it you need to flush it all out and replace it with either ford gold or cat ELC red.

Green is bad news for the 6.0

·
Registered
247 Posts
While doing the flush do yourself a favor and install a coolant filter. Your engine will thank you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been looking at the filters I see one that says you don't have to cut heater hoses is this one any good? What cause all the trash in the coolant system

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
I've been looking at the filters I see one that says you don't have to cut heater hoses is this one any good? What cause all the trash in the coolant system
Corrosion in the cooling system, given the tight tolerances of 6.0's oil cooler you want that coolant as clean as possible.

Good write up on a 7.3 but you get the idea. You can make your own coolant filter kit for 50-60 bucks.

SpringerPop's Coolant Bypass Filter

Doesn't take much to clog up a passage in there.

The Donaldson ECF4085 is 14 microns absolute coolant filter and should stop ANYTHING that would clog a 6.0 oil cooler.

eCatalog - ECF4085

Typical coolant filters are 40 microns or so, for reference.

Really any coolant filter is better than nothing on a 6.0, just make sure you get the non-chemical (no SCA's) filter so you don't over charge the coolant.

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Curious: What is the micron rating for a simple grain of sand? I know there is not one grain the same... But in general.. Does anyone know?

If you chose to use the Baldwin Filter? Here is a great deal on 3 filters... Top Notch Seller... I buy my fuel filters & Remote Spin-On Transmission Filter from him as well...

3 Pack - Baldwin B5134 Spin-on Coolant Filters - Other

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Curious: What is the micron rating for a simple grain of sand? I know there is not one grain the same... But in general.. Does anyone know?
Lord only knows if this is right but Course sand is larger than 100 microns and fine sand is less than 100 microns.

Particle Sizes

IIRC a human eye can see to about 60-75 microns.

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
The reason I asked... I know there has been hundreds of cases were casting sand has been filtered out of the cooling system once a filter was installed...

I am curious what else an owner needs to worry about, being filtered within the 7.3L cooling system... Thus the main focus of the micron rating of the coolant filter...

After looking @ the chart that you posted... I figure a coolant filter with a micron rating of 20 would be more the effective...

I have used the Wix-24070 @ 27microns... I have also used the Donaldson [email protected]

I have switched to the Baldwin due to very easy availability and good price for 3...
I would love to use the Donaldson ECF4085 but they are hard to find in stock...

I will say... After I installed the coolant filter I added 2 bottles of RMI-25 to the system and drive for 10K miles... I changed the filter and opened it up with the dremel... Found alot of scale and mineral deposits... Really got me thinking... I waited 10k more miles and added 2 more 8oz bottles... After 30K miles... I finally had a filter that was totally free of these deposits and have not had them since... Thanks to the filter and RMI-25... But with in regards to this-->My 7.3L was not well maintained by the previous owner... so I figure the cooling system was not maintained as well... thus the results of the deposits... Lord knows if there was ever a cooling flush or change within those first 200K miles...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts