Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one do you guys recommend and why?
Does a brake line have to go into the cab to go to either controller, or does it just get electric input.
Where are you getting them and for how much?

I need to get rid of this POS brake controller

·
Registered
533 Posts
The BrakeSmart has been trouble free for me. It uses electric sending unit from master cyclinder to controller. Although I Don't remeber what I paid for it, but it has been well worth the money. No more messing around trying to set your controller to the trailer ur hualing. With this it works perfect with any trailer, no adjusting.

·
Loves OBS 7.3's
498 Posts
Maxbrake is awesome! I have one in every truck, nice people to deal with down in LA also.

·
hit n miss
549 Posts
I didn't think the Brakesmart was still available.
It's not :( Which really is too bad as I love mine! But the MaxxBrake is a simplified version of the BrakeSmart and works just as awesome. Best pricing I have found was $350 from these guys.

Both are setup the same, a sensor goes into a tee on the master cylinder, no running brake lines into the cab just the wires. I got BrakeSmart's early Ford harness which was a direct plug in to my late 97's factory brake controller connector. MaxxBrake should be the same.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I am gonna order one

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i got it. What were they thinking when they came up with the 8" piece of brake line to go from the "T" to the sensor:doh:. Why the hell couldnt they have the sensor thread right into the T

·
hit n miss
549 Posts
When I got my BrakeSmart it had the same deal with the hose. The hose and sensor had the same ends so I just tossed the hose and put the sensor right into the tee. Check to see if you can do that with the MaxxBrake unit.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I got my BrakeSmart it had the same deal with the hose. The hose and sensor had the same ends so I just tossed the hose and put the sensor right into the tee. Check to see if you can do that with the MaxxBrake unit.
Wish it was that easy. The T that goes in line is 3/16 inverted flare. The sensor is what appears to be 3/8 regular flare:doh:

·
hit n miss
549 Posts
Adapters are your friend! Or if such a beast is not made - a friend with a lathe to make you one!

Seriously wtf were the engineers thinking using such different ends? :doh:

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am sure they bought off the shelf "T"s and an of the shelf pressure sensors.

Wish they would of saved the $$ on sending me 3 different wiring harnesses and 3 different Ts and just sent me the harness and T i needed and the correct adapter to put it together

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
how well did it work ?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Havent gotten it hooked up yet. I am still on the hunt for an adapter, but not having much luck

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
try a hydrolic shop?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I just put in a Maxbrake ! Man what a difference it all brakes as one unit .no more jerking and sliding!!! and re-ajusting

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guess i am Going to just have to put in in the way they designed it:(
No luck on an adapter

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well just a review.

I put it in last week and blew out 3 lines at once, so I ended up replacing EVERY brake line in the truck.

There is a T that goes between the master cyl and and the brake line that leaves it(either front or back, I went to the front) they give you 3 adapters so there is one that fits. then there is a 8" long piece of 3/16 brake line to go from the T to the sensor adapter and the sensor screws into that. Just need to bleed the sensor once you get it all hooked up.

For the wiring end of it, there is a cord that goes from the pressure sensor to the controller. Just need to drill hole thru the firewall and run the wire then seal the hole. The controller has 2 plugs on the back. One for the signal from the pressure sensor. The second plug goes from the controller to the factory harness for the brake controller.

The ONLY time you have to adjust anything is the INITIAL set up. There is a "calibrate" button on the back of the unit. They have you push and hold the button and press the brake until the display shows 45. Then you let off the button and the brakes. THAT IS IT.

I mounted mine in the cubby hole since I never use it anyway. I had to do some trimming to make it "fit" though.

I towed over 500 miles this past weekend with 3 different trailers. This thing is AMAZING. Like I said, you dont have to adjust anything. Just hook to a trailer and GO. The controller reads how much brake pressure there is at the Master cyl and send equivalent voltage to the trailer. So, that means if you are hard on the pedal, it sends max voltage to the trailer, but if you are soft on the brakes, then it sends minimal voltage to the trailer. No more waiting for the brakes to come on, or come on too hard, or that surging

There is also a display to let you know if there is a problem.

Another VERY NICE feature is the TRAILER parking brake. It is handy when loading and unloading the trailer. It will actually set and HOLD the trailer brakes. So no more picking the trucks back tires off the ground and having EVERYTHINg roll on you.All you do is hit and hold the brake, turn the gain knob all the way up. the controller will count down from 6. The it will tell you to turn the gain knob all the way dow and release the pedal. BRAKES ARE SET. To turn it off, yo do the same procedure.

i will get some pics tomorrow

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I wonder if you could've "T"ed into the existing brake switch on the master. I think it's an o-ring seal.

Billy T.
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts