Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to find out what the max horsepower my new engine will hold its a 1997 motor fully balanced new pistons, rods, main studs, headstuds, fuel system 275cc hybrid injectors 72 mm turbo chromoly pushrods comp cams valve springs

·
Drink til she's cute
4,873 Posts
6,7,800 ? No one knows..these things are hard to figure. Some live at 6-700 all day long while others can't hold their oil at 4-500. You should be good to go at 5-600 without much worry.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
What kind of rods and you have mainstuds... so girdle??

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
what he said.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
There is always the exception to the rule. However it's generally excepted that 500hp give or take a few is the most you want to run on stock forged rods. There are plenty of broken rods to support that theory. Exact engine build, use and tuning will vary the numbers a bit.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
There are more than 3 members here running 500hp or more on forged factory rods, and they all run tuning from the same injector building shop. Food for thought. :lookaround: ;) Sometimes it's all in the tunes.

Dave

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
There are a lot of variables, who built the motor, who tuned it, the specific specs of the turbo, specifics on the injectors, etc.... your not giving us a lot to go on.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
Something of interest for anyone that has taken the opportunity to rod a block sub 500rwhp:

And all of the tick, tick, tick, tick and such about Scotty's engine.....

Last Saturday marked the second consecutive year for that stock longblock running low, low 12's on fuel. A year ago at the same event that truck ran either 8 or 9 12.20's with a best of 12.16. This year it also ran 12.20's culminating in a 12.04 best at 111 mph. That engine has clocked somewhere around 250 12 second passes in conjunction with the years it spent as a farm truck and the time it was a hot street truck before it ever spent time on a track.

I ran right at 500rwhp and right at 550rwhp on fuel for 2 or 3 years driving the truck every single day Hard. My rods looked exactly as they did when they were put in that engine at the factory when it was torn down. That same block is in my truck now with hypermax forged in place.

You can make a whole lot of power without breaking engines if you get the tuning right. Or you can have a whole lot of broken parts making ho-hum horsepower if you don't.

But Scotty's engine has proven it's point. To the ones patiently awaiting it's explosion, sorry. It never happened. And it never will. That engine is retired now and after two years of racing over 600rwhp it never let go.

;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats what ive been seen in some cases some trucks last up in the high fives and low 600s whos tuning is the best right know i have tony wildman

·
2010 BOB Points Runner up
2,300 Posts

·
utah get me two
1,935 Posts
i never knew pmr's and factory forged were only 100 hp apart in what they can handel..huummm

·
2010 BOB Points Runner up
2,300 Posts
They are if you have the right or wrong tuning

-Michael

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
Considering that forged have been tossed sub 400hp and powdered metal have lasted up past 450 or more, what does that tell you about the importance of the state of tune on the engines in question?

Does anyone think there is honestly that kind of hopeless slop in factory quality control?

Think about days of thunder, when harry looks at cole after he's just blown an engine and hits the recall and sees 9500rpm and says.... "Now cole.... when the tach reads n i n e... t h o u s a n d rpm..... that's bad"

Now think of that voice, and realize that when you're all the way up on boost, and that harsh static-like sound from under the hood still hasn't subsided....

That's bad.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Think about days of thunder, when harry looks at cole after he's just blown an engine and hits the recall and sees 9500rpm and says.... "Now cole.... when the tach reads n i n e... t h o u s a n d rpm..... that's bad"
One of the best movies ever :rockwoot:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts