Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought this 1995 crew cab 5 speed Dually and it has leaked a significant amount in 24 hours of sitting. When I fired it up and crawled under I noticed the leak appeared to come from an1.5” tube or pipe maybe that runs from the oil filter assembly directly under the driver side exhaust header to the front of the motor. Can you guys help me with part names and how difficult this will be to fix. Good thing is I live less than .2 miles away from a power stroke shop. I’m just scared of what they will charge me. So any info will be greatly appreciated. Also if I get it done what should be a reasonable price to have it fixed. Thanks

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
That would be the oil cooler they have orings that seal the oil in and keep the oil and coolant from mixing. A good shop should have no problem doing it. What they will charge will depend on where they get their parts from and what their labor rate is. It is awkward to get in and out but its only like 5 bolts 2 at the front 3 at the back and pull it out carefully. Where are you at in Texas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baytown just outside of Houston. If it’s just 5 bolts then I might attempt to do this on my own.

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
Just make sure u mark it before disassembly if u don't and get it misaligned u will crack the housing when u try and bolt it back up. I will make a mess but not as hard as it looks.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
I used to do gunshows downtown at the brown. originally from tyler area.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh nice. I used to do the gun shows a lot as well. I just order parts online now. I appreciate the info

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Also expect to loose all your coolant and make a big mess when you pull things apart.

The oil is cooled by the coolant.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Be aware of the parts that make up the oil pressure regulator valve that are located in the block-side of the oil filter/cooler header piece like to fall out of the early model trucks. If the do fall out without being noticed, you will most likely end up with a no-start condition. I would recommend getting OEM gaskets and O-rings for this job as well. Cheers!

·
Native Californian
391 Posts
Use ONLY Motorcraft O-Rings. Other are known to leak at the start. G oto uor dealer or RiffRaff Diesel has them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Be aware of the parts that make up the oil pressure regulator valve that are located in the block-side of the oil filter/cooler header piece like to fall out of the early model trucks. If the do fall out without being noticed, you will most likely end up with a no-start condition. I would recommend getting OEM gaskets and O-rings for this job as well. Cheers!

Wait - Patrick - who told you what I did!? OP, listen to the smart man because you do NOT want to do this twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Baytown just outside of Houston. If it’s just 5 bolts then I might attempt to do this on my own.
Hey- I was back in Baytown, after hurricane Harvey (doing reconstruction work).
Welcome to PSN! Hope y'all are doin' alright... Real nice people down there!

Agree with the previous posts. Oil cooler rebuild is nooo problem, piece of cake. But it will be a bit messy.

Also, not mentioned above: You have to drain the cooling system down before you pull the cooler. There's coolant on the inside and oil on the outside [of the cooler passages]. You will lose some coolant, no doubt, so have some fresh 50/50 coolant on hand before you start.

~Al

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Updating you guys on what’s going on. I appreciate all the good info. I have 2 questions. The first is in the relief valve in the housing that bolts to the engine block at the back of by the filter. Of course it fell out as soon as I pulled the cooler off. I was wondering if there was a good link to how exactly it goes back together. Want to make sure I get it right. Question 2 is the filter bypass valve which I think is just a spring and disc either fell out or was never there. I’m assuming it needs to be there for the truck the retain pressure. Is this correct? TIA

Attachments

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Calico5. Thanks for helping Baytown rebuild. Where are you from?
I'm out of Southern California, San Diego area. It was a real pleasure for our team to come down and help out the folks in Texas! (We're not all crazy, liberal whack-jobs out here in Cali!, LOL) [i.e. Maxine Waters & Nancy Pelosi]

Anyway... The back-end of the oil cooler assembly has both a pressure relief valve AND a pressure regulating valve. Either one of them failing can be a major problem!

Here's a link to the oil cooler/pressure regulator/pressure releif: Link: PRESS.REG. Pretty good info there...

~Al

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome link. Thanks. I know California has a lot of country areas also. I assume like Texas most of the liberals are in the big city’s. I was able to finally bolt the cooler into place. I had to first bolt the front of the cooler housing onto the block separately and then pry the rest of the cooler In using an 18” pry off the exhaust header until I could bolt up the oil filter assembly. I have yet to install the filter because I need the bypass valve ordered. It’s slowly getting there. But it definitely doesn’t go back together in one piece on my 2wd like it does for the 4x4s in the YouTube vids. lol

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
I know California has a lot of country areas also. I assume like Texas most of the liberals are in the big city’s.
Yeah, same-o, same-o here!
I'm about 30 mi. east of actual San Diego, out in the foothills. Horse-country out here...

But it definitely doesn’t go back together in one piece on my 2wd like it does for the 4x4s in the YouTube vids. lol
Really? I've had a few apart, and always was able to reassemble on the bench, then slide it up and in, in one piece. Hopefully you didn't roll an o-ring (!), from prying it into place, in the truck. I guess you'll know soon enough :|.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
You won't be able to get the bypass valve parts separately (if you don't have the parts to put back in). You have to purchase the entire header assembly. F81Z-6881-BA is the "updated header that has the bypass and regulator valves snap-ring retained. They used to run about $135, but now they are about $270 online ($543 list price). You need the bypass valve in place otherwise you are not filtering the oil. Cheers!

·
Registered
198 Posts
You won't be able to get the bypass valve parts separately (if you don't have the parts to put back in). You have to purchase the entire header assembly. F81Z-6881-BA is the "updated header that has the bypass and regulator valves snap-ring retained. They used to run about $135, but now they are about $270 online ($543 list price). You need the bypass valve in place otherwise you are not filtering the oil. Cheers!

I had to replace mine, ended up finding a used one from a newer truck that had the updated design and managed to save a good bit of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts

·
Native Californian
391 Posts
I'm out of Southern California, San Diego area. It was a real pleasure for our team to come down and help out the folks in Texas! (We're not all crazy, liberal whack-jobs out here in Cali!, LOL) [i.e. Maxine Waters & Nancy Pelosi]

Anyway... The back-end of the oil cooler assembly has both a pressure relief valve AND a pressure regulating valve. Either one of them failing can be a major problem!

Here's a link to the oil cooler/pressure regulator/pressure releif: Link: PRESS.REG. Pretty good info there...

~Al
Same here! We need a meet up to go down. Lots of 7.3 guys in the SD area!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts