Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Merry Christmas to all

I had been taking a trip out to Michigan and back pulling a 20' deckover trailer.

Every thing was going good I topped the mountain at the 111 mile marker coming east on I 80.

Now I also look for strange fluids when ever I get back in the truck had just changed the oil about 2 weeks ago

No strange leaks or anything.

It made a white puff like like a hose came off the intake I pulled right off and shut the engine off.

there was the pretty much oil along the whole drive train and front of the trailer,

i thought perhaps the drain plug came out not that,

i am thinking complete rear main seal failure has this ever happened ??

Maybe the oil filter gasket failed??

It did not look like a oil cooler o ring issue.

Coolant level was good.

I had it towed off the mountain hate like hell to have to pay to tow it all the way home.

Any thoughts??

Being Christmas I couldn`t get things any how till I hope Monday

So I am camped out in the Motel beside the Sapp Brothers truck stop.

At least the weather was not like normal

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Check in the valley of the motor, sounds like mabey a high pressure oil line or fitting failed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the first thing I did was crawl up there and there is no oil on the upper firewall at all .

It is down lower.

Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
635 Posts
Oil rail plug?

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
From the ground looking up is there oil on the uppipes and surrounding area? The oring under the trubo pedistal may have failed. In the back passenger corner of the valley there is a drain hole. Any oil in the valley will drain down the passenger side and spill onto the starter. You may also want to check the big nut on the oil pan that secures the dipstick tube to the oil pan. You shouldnt have that big of an oil leak from there but it may be somewhere else to look.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help!!

It is now at home backed into the shop.

I will post up what I do find.

Thanks again

·
Registered
472 Posts
When my turbo ped oring went, it poured like whizz out of a boot out of the drain hole down the back passenger side of the engine. No oil on firewall or top of engine, all out the drain hole and on the ground.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since I all ready have the manifold off I may as well pull the turbo off to check at this point it can`t hurt. Thanks for the tip!

I pulled the inspection cover off the bottom of the bell housing and it looked like not near enough oil in there besides I just can`t see a bad rear main seal failing like that

I will let you know how it plays out.

thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
When my turbo ped oring went, it poured like whizz out of a boot out of the drain hole down the back passenger side of the engine. No oil on firewall or top of engine, all out the drain hole and on the ground.
Mine emptied most of its oil capacity at a red light in a similar way. EBPV actuator/plunger blew out on mine, all the symptoms of a bad rear main, as thats where the valley drain exits near, except that a rear main would never pour that much out that quickly. Check the back of the valley near the turbo. EPA is probably still looking for me :ford:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is what is stopping me from just pulling stuff apart .

I can`t see that the rear main could have failed that bad blowing oil out that fast even the underside of the trailer is covered.

I am still looking.

Thanks for any and all ideas

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having not been able to really find anything I put it all back together filled up the oil started it up.

Now being inside I only ran it a few minutes but no leaks none!

If anything had failed should not the oil still spray out.

Oil pressure good no strange knocks

I did have to put about 12 quarts into bring it back up to full.

I will see what happens it got dark

thanks again

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for a update

It was not till I got the block up to operating temperature that the leak surfaced again

Looking again now it does indeed look like the turbo O rings have left go.

Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts