Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed a diesel conversion on my '06 f150 and could use some 4r75e help.

TIA

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
Yeah he is still here. Share some more info and picks on the swap please.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally ditched the 5.4 3v thorn in my side. Went with a Mercedes OM606- turbo diesel. Big job - not for the faint of heart but overall I'm much happier with the truck. I have a few transmission niggles to work through but otherwise I don't miss the triton.

Attachments

·
Ford Man
192 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Nation. Wow on the swap. Not for the faint of heart indeed. What model Mercedes did the diesel engine come out of?

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
I'm interested so post up the question so all can see if you don't mind. What are you using to control the trans?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure-

I'm still using the original Ford PCM to control the tranny. I've got the whole truck pretty gauged up and I'm monitoring everything... I've noticed trans temps higher than I'd like (215-220) normal driving unloaded, and I see 230 on long hills and hard acceleration. I know that's not horrible but I do plow and plan to tow as well so I really respect Marks .02c on this.

Also- due to the swap, I changed some things which were not ideal, but with so many other concerns, I took the expedient route to try to get over the major humps knowing I might have to revisit them as follows:

1) I used a new (stock) 11" gas torque converter (2100 stall). Since the Mercedes diesel makes less HP & Torque than that TC is rated for- I figured I'd try it. I'm not sure if that's contributing to the higher trans temps? 2) I had to relocate the trans cooler to under the truck due to the engines cooling package (IE intercooler/plumbing /engine oil cooler). I'm sure I'm getting less air flow in this location and that may also be contributing to the heat dissipation. 3) Because of the F150 front axle location- the engine/trans mounting has a 6-7 degree (nose up) incline . This means the trans dipstick readings are slightly skewed and I'm not sure if fluid levels or foaming are a concern with the incline and also contributing to the heat?

I've read much of Marks posts and trust his opinion so I'm hoping he can comment.

Lastly- I'm getting intermittent Transmission malfunction messages along with codes p705, p708 & p1702. They occur mostly after warm-up and will clear themselves while driving. I'm "pretty sure" these are not related to the swap directly. I "think" the transmission range selector sensor may have gotten wet/damaged with the cab off when I power washed the frame and transmission case. I have a new one on order and I hope that fixes that... fingers crossed... but threw it out there in case he sees something I've not thought of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update- New TR range sensor appears to have fixed the malfunction and DTC codes. I also added 1qt of Mercon V and temps appear better. I'll give it some time and watch things.

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
Thanks for the update. How does it shift? Seems like the computer wouldn’t like not seeing the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It shifts great... but the PCM does "see" the engine. I grafted all the necessary 5.4 engine sensors onto the new engine so the PCM still "thinks" the 5.4 is in place. One exception though... full throttle the trans wants to hold the lower gear beyond my diesels maximum RPM. Engine is speed limited to 4500 rpm and full throttle the 5.4 shifted at around 4700 rpm but that's the only issue remaining. I'm working on it though.

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
That’s pretty awesome. So I would guess some custom tunes for the trans would make all the difference. I bet it would run cooler too. Being that you could have torque converter lock up sooner due to better low end torque.

So there in no room to run any aftermarket trans coolers in front of the radiator? Maybe two small ones one each side of the center support?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah- I figured I might need to upgrade the trans cooler but I had to start somewhere. It's strange but since I've added the quart and changed the range selector, I haven't seen any temps over 200?? Not sure if it's coincidence, luck.. or whatever... But I'll take it.

I don't want to mess too much with programming/tuning. On the WOT shift concern, from my reading, I believe it's related to gas pedal voltage. I originally though it might have been MAF values but the strategy suggests MAF values are for line pressure- not so much shift points. The problem is I'm using the Pedal voltage to control both the Ford PCM as well as the Diesels ECU. If I can figure out a way to reduce the voltage going to the Ford PCM, I think that will lower the WOT shift points enough to cure the problem. Perhaps the .6V drop of a diode will suffice.

Alternately, I could raise the RPM of my diesel but I've increased the boost levels and I get some exhaust valve float at high boost/high RPM situations. That would mean increasing valve spring forces and I'm not keen on that either.

For now- I just avoid full throttle at higher RPM's, which isn't hard... the small diesel pulls harder than my tired 5.4 ever did.

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
So what is adjusting line pressure now? Are you running a maf? Why are you not wanting to run different programming for the trans? In my opinion changing some options could make the trans live longer. I’m not worried about hp but the torque the diesel makes.

I could be wrong on all this though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts