Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, yesterday I noticed that my numbers were not on the dash. I remembered reading that if you push the +/- button on the shifter it will come back. I did the -, and the truck downshifted,,,, I looked to make sure it was in D. It was. I cycled the up/down shift and the truck did it.

This is the first time I have EVER messed with the manual shift button. Is this operating correctly? (I obviously have not read the book yet,, :doh:,, but what are friends for on here,, right?)

Thanks in advance. If it is not operating correctly, I guess I may have my first warranty issue... (Programming likely I would guess)

·
1st murdered 2011 psd
1,387 Posts
the only thing the +/- should do when in drive is cycle the gears on the left on and off ( now you see, now you dont...) it should only actually change through the gears in M. play with it sometime too btw its fun! lol seems to pull harder IMO and it was awesome towing trailer across the mountains...

·
Registered
127 Posts
In D by pressing the - button it will lock out the taller gears...for example if you are in town towing heaving and don't want it to get into fifth or sixth gear hit the - button and it will only shift to forth or fifth.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the only thing the +/- should do when in drive is cycle the gears on the left on and off ( now you see, now you dont...) it should only actually change through the gears in M. play with it sometime too btw its fun! lol seems to pull harder IMO and it was awesome towing trailer across the mountains...
My gear numbers are on the right,,,,?

Either way, then I have an issue. Because mine will shift the transmission in D or M.... :(
Not the end of the world, but I hate that it may have to visit the shop!

·
brandon
778 Posts
press the + and they come back. You can can lock out the top gears even in drive and you can also still downshift in drive.

·
Registered
352 Posts
In D by pressing the - button it will lock out the taller gears...for example if you are in town towing heaving and don't want it to get into fifth or sixth gear hit the - button and it will only shift to forth or fifth.
agreed. Mine does the same. the tranny will still function like an automatic, just uses less gears Also, if you have not locked any gears out, the + button toggles the gear #s on and off.

Manual mode makes the truck drive like a stick. It will not shift unless you tell it to. If you are running extremely low rpms and downshift, it will skip a gear sometimes to pick a more appropriate rpm. But it will only do that if you press a button. I pulled an empty 16ft cargo trailer in 5th up a hill in manual mode and it didn't shift at all. I let the rpms fall all the way down to 800. Not saying it was a good idea, but the truck didn't shift till I told it to.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks guys. It sounds like it's just PERFECT then! Gotta love that! :evil
I'm going to tow with it the first time tomorrow night. Only a 29' Fifth wheel. Shouldn't be a big deal but I'm interested in seeing how it does.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yea, I did. Just pulled my bosses 29' Montana a mere 180 miles. Had to look in the mirrors to remember it was back there! LOL
Pulled like a dream. He does still have wiring problems on the trailer though, OR my truck does. (I'm leaning towards the trailer though, we did check with a tester on my truck last time) Every time I hit the brakes, the "Trailer Disconnected" would pop up on the information center. Soon as I took my foot of the brakes, "Trailer Connected" would pop up... ????????????????? No tails still either,, came home anyway with it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That seems to be the consensus. Its the easiest pulling truck I've ever driven

My dads 6.4 would say "wiring fault on trailer" and it was water getting into the plug on the truck. I don't know if its the same issue, but you might check. It wasn't much water, but enough to pour out several drops.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, Wheels, the plug was kept stuffed up under the hitch box, should have been dry. And then as I said in this post, (Or maybe the other one in towing and hauling) Friday night when I picked it up, it did NOT say that, however it did act funky by showing "Trailer Disconnected" every time I touched the brakes. The trailer Brakes DEFINITELY worked, (And the "Progressive" brake action is nice. You push harder, the trailer brakes come on noticeably harder!)
I had brake lights and turns, but no tails... I don't have time to mess with it for him right now, but maybe later on I'll go out to the storage lot and see what I can find. (I'll also hook to my gooseneck and see if it works right, who knows, I could have a problem with the truck, however doubtful that seems)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Jim, I have that same problem with pulling my 38' gooseneck flatbed, the truck will tell me trailer disconnected, the trailer brakes work and turn signals and brake lights work, but running lights do not. Im leaning towards a faulty ground wire on the trailer that i just havent had the time to find.

·
Registered
352 Posts
it was fairly random in my dads truck as well. Also, even though you are using the in bed plug and keeping it dry, it is on the same circuitry as the one under the back bumper. Ford refused to do anything about my dads because the b&w dealer installed the in bed plug. He kept telling them he can pour water out of the plug on the back and they said that wasn't the problem. So he took it off the truck and never saw the message again. It was most noticeable after it rained, but wasn't totally consistent. And all the lights/brakes worked while it gave the error msg.

I'm not saying you have the same problem, but the bumper plug on my truck looks just like my dads 6.4, so it'd be worth checking on before you try to find a ground problem on the trailer

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hm, well I used the bumper plug, because I have not installed the bed plug I bought yet. Just ran the cable under the gate, and left most of the slack up in the bed.
I'll check the plug,,, however we've not had much in the way of any rain, light snow is all that week... nothing over a dusting.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had this problem alot and I've learned the very first thing to do is to take a small screw driver and pry the contacts on the trailer side away from there wall. We use those black plastic ends and it seems like there just not set up to squeeze the contacts on the truck hard enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts