Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Manual 3rd or 2nd

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  rebelchevy02 
#1 ·
When you are in manual 3rd or 2nd is your convertor locked or unlocked?

Tom

#2 ·
Dont know, will check it this afternoon on the way to the gym.

#3 ·
mine normally locks from 40-50mph. so i shouldnt probally ever lock itself in second but sure could in third,if you are cruizing in od and it is locked and you then push the button to put it in 3rd it will be locked

#4 ·
I am pretty sure it follows the same strategy as it would when in OD but I could be mistaken.

#6 ·
I should have been more clear. How about if you are decending a grade and pull the transmission down into manual 3rd or manual 2nd. Will the convertor relock if you tap the accelerator?

Tom

#8 ·
Mine does for 3rd, I do it all the time. Not for sure about 2nd but I think so.

#7 ·
i dont think my 97 would, i hooked up a lock up switch

#9 ·
Depending on your tunes, when you hit 3rd, the stock style programming unlocks, shifts into 4rd, wait, wait, wait, wait, lock. (dont need to apply accelerator) Then If you shift into second, it unlocks, and goes to second, and stays unlocked. (This is how mine acted stock, 2002 auto) You can have yours only unlock for the shift into 3rd via a programming change (mine does now, I hate waiting) and I believe in second also. But I know you can have it that way going into third.

With jodys tunes, if you got it to lockup in second, and let off, it would stay locked, but if it shifted from 3rd to 2nd, it would unlock.

#10 ·
Like said above, it depends on your stradigy

#11 ·
The reason I was asking is I drove an excursion the other day that had this done in the programming and really like how it worked on a steep downgrade. Downshift manually into 3rd or 2nd and tap the accelerator pedal to lock the convertor up to hold back the truck even better.

Tom

#12 ·
PMT in the superdutys keeps the TC locked when the brakes are touched. NVK unlocks when you touch the brakes... I think that can be tuned out, but I dont know for sure.

Thats one thing I will miss about the DP tunes, all my tunes would downshift when decelerating. almost like you were doing it manualy.

Never had a TS chip with tunes do that, maybe the new ones will...

#13 ·
I just got (and I mean just, it was this morning) a re burn from Swamps, that infact stays locked on the 4-3 shift (pedal), and when you manual select the 4-3 shift, and same goes for the 3-2 shift (down to about 30mph) Always locks up on the 1-2 shift, and if you end up coasting around into 2nd, it unlocks obviously, then locks up on the 2-3 shift, or if your light on the pedal, after a few seconds. There is just a few minor things I would like changed, but the thing hauls ass with this shifting. Egts are very nice too. If your interested Joe, pm me, and I can send you their programming code, or whatever its called.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.