Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 f350 7.3 the passenger side manifold had a big hole in it so I was able to get it off but the studs are still in the block. Of course they are in really bad shape. Any ideas on what the easiest way to get them out is??

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Did they break off or are they regular studs?

If there is still enough stud left the easiest way will be to use two nuts as jam nuts. Put them both on and loosen one and tighten the other until they get real tight, then get a wrench on the bottom one and spin the stud out.

if they're really rusty I would soak them with penetrating oil, then get the stud red hot. Then spray more oil while it's hot, it'll suck the oil down in there. Then let it cool down to the point where you can touch it. They should spin right out after that.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Purchase a set of stud removal sockets for rounded bolt heads and studs. Use a quality penetrating fluid and heat, you might have to heat cycle I.e., heat up spray, let cool heat up again spray cool etc. Put on the appropriate socket and they should twist out. Upon install use new Ford stock bolts, quality anti seize paste and aftermarket gaskets. Note that the middle bolt hole on the exhaust manifold will be smaller diameter then the rest thats for lining up the manifold, install that one first.
Cheers,
j

1 - 4 of 4 Posts