Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to this forum and have several questions. I have an 02 7.3 2wd and am looking to make about 500hp. I have a banks 4"exhaust with power elbow,banks cold air intake, banks quick turbo assembly (1.0 turbine housing, big head wastegate and compressor wheel), boost fooler and sct X4 programmer. I am wanting new injectors from Full Force and they recommended the stage hybrid's 205/30. I am thinking about getting the turbo rebuild kit with larger compressor housing for a 66/88 compressor wheel. Let me know what everybody thinks in order for me to achieve the 500hp goal. Also what torque converter would you recommend without spending a fortune? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gonna need more than 205/30s for 500hp to the wheels. It is possible maybe to make that at a peak, but it would not be a usable 500. Also, for that goal will want to look at Fuel System upgrades (RR or full fuel system). Also, I believe you would not want a turbo rebuild kit with just bigger wheels, but would want a full turbo upgrade that way the shafts, bearings, etc. are up to the task and will last. The stock gtp38 was not designed to go anywhere near 500 hp.

I am not sure about a specific torque converter, just that you will want a triple disc.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
—- reserved for dude with big balls and lotsa $$$ 500hp daily driver

340cc hybrids (lots of room to grow - cracked block b4 you max out the output of these sticks)
modded H2E 71/19cm
gen3 HPOP
aeromotive big honkin pump
sump in tank--3/4 line to filters--5/8 to itp reg return
DI headers
3.5 downpipe,
4" exhaust out the back
.030 over bottom end studded and girdled,& balanced
crowers rods
cosmetics head gasket
Swamps tuning
BTS backin it up.
ARP head studs 250-4201
—-end

Now here we go... 160/100 will get you 500 and that’s maxing out the sticks wo no room to grow - find a tuner willing and capable... IIRC

200/200 sticks will get you 550. This is on stock hpop.

I’m running 160/30 with 150hp. It simply kicks ass. Well close to 450 if not some extra. Tears up my tires though

Personally I wouldn’t do the above I’m cheap and well versed in what works and what doesn’t (at least I think I do but chit I’m a dummy). I would go with (my opinion okay)

200/200 stock fuel stock oil, rebuilt blower w/ ww2, head studs. Better be forged rods. Stg2 slush box with minimum billet input.

Don’t overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh yea, I didn't even notice OP said it was an '02, which means PMRs. Not gonna be pretty at 500 daily hp...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome guys. Thanks for the input. I have read that the hybrids will get you better power while running stock HPOP and transmission for the most part. I will upgrade the torque converter to start as I do haul a travel trailer. It is about 8k dry weight. I suppose that the 500 hp number is just a number that I have in my head as an attainable goal. I think that if I get the 205/80 or so with an upgraded turbo, I should have a good bit of change in HP numbers. Should be a hell of change from stock. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you want hybrids I think the 205/30s you mentioned are a good idea. Pair them with a kc38r or t4 setup and you'll be set. Plenty of power for most, very fun for a daily driver, and should tow rather well depending on turbo and tuning.

I would be suprised if your tranny will hold the power even with a torque converter upgrade but that's ok. They are rebuildable.

Gonna want a regulated return kit. Might think about head studs, push rods, and valve springs. Ask whoever you buy your injectors from what they recommend for supporting mods.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
No problem with 500 daily stressing pmr. Tuners have gotten a lot more smarts than we would give them credit far. Have all your supporting chit together and have a tuner tune for them #. Is it recommend vs the stock forged? No, it isn’t but it can be done if that’s all that you have.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Gonna want a regulated return kit. Might think about head studs, push rods, and valve springs. Ask whoever you buy your injectors from what they recommend for supporting mods.

Negative on fuel - stock is fine but good to have if you can afford the rest

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I disagree. A regulated return is a good investment even on a stock rig. Add some hybrid injectors that can drop fuel pressure to dangerous levels on the rear cylinders and it becomes a very good investment.

To each his own I guess but if my truck were a super duty it would have a rr kit on it, even with my rather small 160/30s.

https://swampsdiesel.com/products/driven-diesel-73l-standard-regulated-return-kit/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need advice on hpop replacement. I just air tested the hpop on my 2004 F250 Superduty 6.0L Powerstroke and have a bad pump. I have several questions. Anyone familiar with this ?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Well... you won’t have fuel problems if you had the fuel lines from @[email protected]

I believe he ran, for many years, stock fuel pump, fuel bowl retaining lines, stock fuel bowl and..... 250/200 sticks for testing purposes.

I don’t have a regulated system and I’m around 450ish. Dyno it later to be sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I disagree. A regulated return is a good investment even on a stock rig. Add some hybrid injectors that can drop fuel pressure to dangerous levels on the rear cylinders and it becomes a very good investment.

To each his own I guess but if my truck were a super duty it would have a rr kit on it, even with my rather small 160/30s.

https://swampsdiesel.com/products/driven-diesel-73l-standard-regulated-return-kit/
Your stock system IS a regulated return. A $500 fuel kit is a waste of money on stock injectors. Just do the hutch mod and gut the factory fittings in the end of the heads. That's where the restriction is.

For bigger HP, all the guys pushing 1000hp are running a similar setup to what I build/sell.

OP, with a PMR engine, you can run 205/80's. Last week we just installed these and a KC38R in an OBS truck and the owner is quite happy. Changing your current turbo into a 66/88 (aka a D66) is honestly also a waste of money. They usually run hot and are laggy.

You will need a larger fuel pump to run 180cc injectors in order to get the full potential out of them and not starve the injectors.

And as DC mentioned, tuning has come along way to keep PMR engines from throwing rods.

If you'd like pricing on your project, we keep most stuff in stock.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your stock system IS a regulated return. A $500 fuel kit is a waste of money on stock injectors. Just do the hutch mod and gut the factory fittings in the end of the heads. That's where the restriction is.

For bigger HP, all the guys pushing 1000hp are running a similar setup to what I build/sell.

OP, with a PMR engine, you can run 205/80's. Last week we just installed these and a KC38R in an OBS truck and the owner is quite happy. Changing your current turbo into a 66/88 (aka a D66) is honestly also a waste of money. They usually run hot and are laggy.

You will need a larger fuel pump to run 180cc injectors in order to get the full potential out of them and not starve the injectors.

And as DC mentioned, tuning has come along way to keep PMR engines from throwing rods.

If you'd like pricing on your project, we keep most stuff in stock.

Yes please get me some pricing on the KC 38r turbo. What is the power rating for this turbo? How does it compare to the GTP38R? I was going to get the air dog fuel kit that states it flows up to 500hp. Should I use the TS 6 chip or what is the hydra tunes everyone talks about. I guess what I am asking is what would be the most beneficial tune without breaking the bank? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yes please get me some pricing on the KC 38r turbo. What is the power rating for this turbo? How does it compare to the GTP38R? I was going to get the air dog fuel kit that states it flows up to 500hp. Should I use the TS 6 chip or what is the hydra tunes everyone talks about. I guess what I am asking is what would be the most beneficial tune without breaking the bank? Thanks in advance.

While we wait for Corey to come back (the man is busy lol)!

I have it and it’s a beast. Though I have it on 100hp and 150hp tune. I’m on my 100hp (it’s actually flashed to the pcm permanently. Max with 100hp is 20psi. When I’m on my 150hp tune it buries my 30psi Gauge. No surge - nothing but smooth and consistent air being produced. It tows really smooth and low egts - never exceeding 1200.

Go with hydra. I would suggest custom tunes with it. You don’t want ts chip b/c making tweaks to tunes requires a reburn (pita). Get it from Corey and he hooks you up!

The turbo, btw, is tested by Corey up to 250/200 (last we spoke). I gotta admit, I need bigger injectors: 200/200 next go around - solid 500rwhp - stock fuel stock hpop.

Make sure you ask about the fuel lines, fuel block (deletes the bowl), hpop lines too. I’m sure he can make a deal and earn your business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
​ DieselDC;6072146 said:
While we wait for Corey to come back (the man is busy lol)!

I have it and it’s a beast. Though I have it on 100hp and 150hp tune. I’m on my 100hp (it’s actually flashed to the pcm permanently. Max with 100hp is 20psi. When I’m on my 150hp tune it buries my 30psi Gauge. No surge - nothing but smooth and consistent air being produced. It tows really smooth and low egts - never exceeding 1200.

Go with hydra. I would suggest custom tunes with it. You don’t want ts chip b/c making tweaks to tunes requires a reburn (pita). Get it from Corey and he hooks you up!

The turbo, btw, is tested by Corey up to 250/200 (last we spoke). I gotta admit, I need bigger injectors: 200/200 next go around - solid 500rwhp - stock fuel stock hpop.

Make sure you ask about the fuel lines, fuel block (deletes the bowl), hpop lines too. I’m sure he can make a deal and earn your business.

What injectors are you running? Do you have head studs and all the other stuff everyone says to do? I want to make considerably more power, but at the same time want the truck to keep the good ole 7.3 reliability as it is my Daily. Do you also have a stock transmission?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What injectors are you running? Do you have head studs and all the other stuff everyone says to do? I want to make considerably more power, but at the same time want the truck to keep the good ole 7.3 reliability as it is my Daily. Do you also have a stock transmission?

I’m running 160/30 (should of got 160/100). My transmission is a stg2 with dieselsite billet input. The 500hp recommendations I gave you above, should be done if you want the motor to survive. That combination gives you room to grow. You will crack your block before you can fully utilize them injectors I recommended.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Shoot me an email ([email protected]) and give me a couple days. I try to get on here more often as I like the traditional forums much better than other social media. You'll probably get a response in the wee hours of the morning or late evening as that's when I get time.
​ DieselDC;6072178 said:
I’m running 160/30 (should of got 160/100). My transmission is a stg2 with dieselsite billet input. The 500hp recommendations I gave you above, should be done if you want the motor to survive. That combination gives you room to grow. You will crack your block before you can fully utilize them injectors I recommended.

30% nozzles are better suited for 160cc of fuel. More torque. 200% nozzle on a 200cc injector is not optimal either. 80% nozzle is best suited for that injector.

·
shade tree mechanic
85 Posts
i went t4 kit, 205/30% inj's, borgwarner sxe 366\.91 exh and hit 35 psi on command by 2k rpm, in a heavy tow mode no problem. stock sd pump, fuel bowl, gutted fuel fittings on head and the fuel crossover recirc kit from riff raff. i only pull a 34' 11k lb fifthwheel toyhauler with mine. i cannot believe the power diff now, just amazing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts