Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

So here is the deal, I am getting 500 bucks back from the government this year on my taxes, I know it's not alot but I am looking at putting the money back into my truck. Right now I am wanting to make the truck last As long as possible. I have already converted over to synthetic oil and put a bypass oil filter in.

I am curious what should be my next step to make it last as long as possible.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Custom tunes and a good air filter.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Simple DIY mods...

Don't put a tuner on it, CCV, intake & exhaust, use a good oil, add 2 stroke oil to your fuel to keep the injectors happier then with ULSD, let it warm up before you go and tromp on it, let it cool down after a hard run, maintain coolant,

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I think you are off to a good start with the synthetics and a bypass. Just keep up with the usual maintenance. A tuner is rolling the dice. I went with conservative tunes. If you want to be sure that it will last, you can't go throwing a 120 hp chip on it and romp away.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I think you are off to a good start with the synthetics and a bypass. Just keep up with the usual maintenance. A tuner is rolling the dice. I went with conservative tunes. If you want to be sure that it will last, you can't go throwing a 120 hp chip on it and romp away.
:whs:

Tranny upgrades, 6.0 cooler, V-10 cooler, Valve body fm BTS or Racer X or other sponsor. Synthetic fluids in tranny and rear differential.

·
Registered
210 Posts
use the $500 to buy approx. 5 tanks worth of fuel if you have a longbed, about 6 tanks if you have a shortbed. :D

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
A John Wood valve body will help the trans live longer. $225

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Contact ITPdiesel. Thats where I got mine. Dennis is a good guy.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Keep it washed, waxed and in doors as much as possible......rust ruins many a truck before the engine goes.
thats very true!

Oil the frame and body panels with New ATF fluid... drive down a dirt road and kick up some dust!

dam magical disappearing fender wells ford is oh so known for :(

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Coolant filter from Dieselsite.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
With regards to the rust, I stopped driving my truck on salted roads about 5 years ago. I do not have any rust on the body, but the frame and fittings do, nothing bad though. Has anyone used "fluid film". I saw it was recommended on one of the other ford diesel sites. In the northeast, rust will keep you occupied after about 7 years.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I'm in Az, what are you guys talking about??

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I could only wish we did not know here in the northeast.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Rust has got to be one of the worst things for these trucks I know, but I already have the funders on the box starting and I don't know how to curb the rust, any good info would be helpful.
That link I provided in the previous post for POR-15 comes highly recommended from a lot of people I've talked to. Like I said, it's going to be my Spring project; I've got surface rust over most of the frame and axles. No scraping/brushing required; use their three-step process and no more rust...ever.
Best,
Jim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts