Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just in.

7.3 Quake

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A magnitude 7.3 quake struck south of Japan in the Pacific Ocean, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on Friday.

The USGS said the quake struck at 5:31 a.m. on Saturday (2031 GMT on Friday) 52 miles east of Naha, on the southern Japanese island of Okinawa.

The quake, only 18 miles below the seabed, was large enough to trigger at least a tsunami in nearby areas but there was no immediate warning

Considering the Haiti quake was only 7.0, this is pretty big.

Hopefully, loss of life will be minimal. :(

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
That is unfortunate for Japan. I wonder what F'ing nut job will say it was us with our earthquake machine?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
:( :(

Scary times we live in.
Your tellin me! I live like 20 miles from the San Andreas Fault! I'm just waiting for another big one to hit SoCal...

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
Those damn tectonic plates...

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
That is huge.

The Haiti quake was 7.0 and this one is being recorded as an 8.8.

That is more than 800 times stronger than the Haiti quake. :eek:

They seem to be too far apart as to be even tenuously connected, but..........one has to wonder. :shrug:
It all lookes pretty close to the ring of fire to me.

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It all lookes pretty close to the ring of fire to me.

I'm not sure the Haiti quake would be classified as being part of the ring of fire.

As I understand it, one quake doesn't set another one off thousands of miles away........ unless they're part of the same plate system.

Having lived in Alaska for over 30 years, I felt a lot of quakes. Although we were 4 years late for the big one in 1964, there was still a lot of destruction that could be seen from it.

·
--------
551 Posts
That is huge.

The Haiti quake was 7.0 and this one is being recorded as an 8.8.

That is more than 800 times stronger than the Haiti quake. :eek:

They seem to be too far apart as to be even tenuously connected, but..........one has to wonder. :shrug:
I believe it's actually 80 times stronger on the Richter Scale and 501.187 times stronger on the Moment Magnitude Scale.

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My first figure was based on the "expert" on CNN.

Seems like there isn't a consensus.

500 Times Stronger (click here)

100 Times Stronger (click here)

I'll bet this is where you got your numbers.

Pretty cool little calculator.

Magnitude Calculator

A magnitude 8.8 earthquake is 63.095 times bigger than a magnitude 7.0 earthquake on a seismogram, but is 501.187 times stronger (energy release).
I think maybe the confusion is coming when defining "bigger" and "stronger."

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Regardless, as long as we all agree that these earthquakes were due in a very large part to the EPA and CARB not forcing the auto manufacturers to install EGR and DPF systems on earlier model year trucks (circa 1983), then we can all be better people.

Al Gore blaming these earthquakes on global warming in 3...2....1....

·
--------
551 Posts
My first figure was based on the "expert" on CNN.

Seems like there isn't a consensus.

500 Times Stronger (click here)

100 Times Stronger (click here)

I'll bet this is where you got your numbers.

Pretty cool little calculator.

Magnitude Calculator

I think maybe the confusion is coming when defining "bigger" and "stronger."

Actually, I used the long understood richter calculation that says a full point higher in magnitude has 10 times the shock wave (amplitude) of the smaller quake. So an 8.0 has 10 times the shock wave of a 7.0, and an 8.8 has 8 times as much as an 8.0. So it seemed to me that an 8.8 quake is 80 times the size of a 7.0 (10x8). I was incorrect. It's actually 10^1.8 or 63.096.

The Moment Magnitude is simply calculated by taking the Richter calculation and taking it to ^3/2. The total formula looks like this (10^magnitude difference)^3/2. So where you have a difference in magnitude of 1.8, you take 10 to the power of 1.8 (63.096), then take that to the power of 3/2 (or 1.5), which = 501.187. And yes, Moment Magnitude Scale refers to release of energy.

The confusion comes from which scale you use, Richter or Moment Magnitude.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the magnitude calculator is pretty cool.. .thanks for the link....
last night i heard rivera... ask some science guy, (cant remember his name right now... if the earth quakes were in some way related to man made causes.... whew talk about stretching.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
It's all the oil and gas we are removing from the earth. The holes we leave behind are collapsing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts