Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the true advantage to running main studs over main bolts? Less main walk? Do they handle more power or only theoretically? I am trying to get some info here.

Thanks

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
to be honest the only time i have seen the mains studded is when running a girdle like wop's etc. I was thinking they went to studs for holding power plus they could be longer.

would be interesting to see.

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
Yes, just more holding 'clamp' force. However if you clamp the caps harder you will 'oval' them just enough thousandths that you need to have the engine torn down and have a line hone run through the mains to circle them back up.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
SO is it worth it or not? Do the bolts ever stretch or let go where having a stronger stub even if at the same tq would be worth it?

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, just more holding 'clamp' force. However if you clamp the caps harder you will 'oval' them just enough thousandths that you need to have the engine torn down and have a line hone run through the mains to circle them back up.
Not a big deal, it is on a stand anyway.

SO is it worth it or not? Do the bolts ever stretch or let go where having a stronger stub even if at the same tq would be worth it?
Precisely what I want to know.

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
However if you clamp the caps harder you will 'oval' them just enough thousandths that you need to have the engine torn down and have a line hone run through the mains to circle them back up.
Zactly.......And if the torque spec is not followed to a T they will distort as well.

FWIW with just the outer studs torqued my mains grew by .003, torque the inners with the girdle on and it went back into spec.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
On a stand....what happened w that.
I have been workin on cloneing your rig.

If it was out , id be checkin the oil pan
Maybe even think about fillin it,
thou I am not liking the oil heat thread right now with that.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On a stand....what happened w that.
I have been workin on cloneing your rig.

If it was out , id be checkin the oil pan
Maybe even think about fillin it,
thou I am not liking the oil heat thread right now with that.
The motor I burnt a hole in piston #1 is being rebuilt because the backup motor I have in the truck is worn out. It is basically a core, not a driver.

·
Plays with Motors
611 Posts
The main caps walk if you don't stud them, this can lead to pinching off the oil wedge and spinning a bearing or breaking the cap and main webbing right off the block.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Thanks that's what I wanted to know. ARP Main Stud & Bolt Kits 250-5801 it is then.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
TARM, I actually think I might have a spare main stud kit somewhere.

If I can find it I'll sell it to you cheap.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
The main caps walk if you don't stud them, this can lead to pinching off the oil wedge and spinning a bearing or breaking the cap and main webbing right off the block.
That doesn't sound good, any particular powerlevelor usage this applies to?
I know stroken pulls so I consider his usage harder then my dd habits.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hay..... I like cheap too.

LOL

·
Registered
4,865 Posts

That would be great!! If you do find them I would be interested in that. I am in the acquiring parts phase of doing the build. Hoping I will be able to have it all together before winter. These things sure are not cheap like ford or chevy gasser motors to build:doh:. While you are digging around if you just happened to find a brand new set of hypermax or most any comparable aftermarket rod be sure to let me know:D:D LOLLOL

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Could always check w wop I think they have dome r&r rods

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
May do that. Thanks for the info Mike

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
erment to say ..some r&r rods, not dome R&R

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Hmmm.. I just installed main studs in my shortblock. It was machined with factory bolts though. So I need to have it lined bored again, even though it has never been ran yet ?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Did you torque them down to the ARP specs or the factory specs? I would think its all based off what the machine shop torqued them down to when they did the honing. If you torqued the Stubs more than that based on everything I have read and been told you need to have it re-honed using those stubs having them torqued to the same amount you plan to use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts