Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

281 - 290 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
I like these lights because they do NOT have a projector, the DRL is a simple LED strip, and the reflectors are chrome with a clear lens....
copy cat of the OEM Ford harley lights except now with the led strip. These are 05+ lights so I had to hack away at the ex header panel

The newer Ebay DRL style superduty lights use projector, and as you said a neon like DRL. In my experience I do not like the light projected from cheap Ebay projector headlights, and with the $250-350 price tag...we chose these dudes...the last set lasted 3-4? years.......I'm good with that

The front bumper is an Iron bull for superduty, I found it on Denver craigslist when we lived there I paid $650 for it!
I do believe it was either their prototype or dang close to it, as it is not one of their production units and if I remember correctly they got their start in Colorado. Bumper is very heavy duty, I did have to do some drilling to get all of the holes to line up

I have been through the wringer with the 7.3's and leaks
There are so many O rings on a 7.3 that there is a spreadsheet to cover all their sizes and locations
as these engines get older all of the seals need replacing....one at a time........nickle and dime
Worth every penny and hour! 7.3 is a very simple machine and very rewarding to own/operate!
7.3 Ex is a beast, handles everything we can throw at it.

Reactions: Shovel

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Did you get those headlights on ebay or somewhere else? I guess I should ask what brand I should be looking for.

Iron Bull is an awesome bumper. You got a steal!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
here they are on Amazon, I got the last set at $102 looks like???

can get with led tail lights for $100 more!

The led tail lights I am after are $224 so might be a good idea to get them both for $220!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
wait that link with the tail lights is NOT for EXCURSION ...........ignore it

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Appreciate the link! I'll check em out.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Excursion back in the shop!
had a nasty squeek and grind in the front end when in 4x4
Turns out the spindle bearings in the wheel bearings are toast
Why?
Because Im an A hole.
I replaced both wheel bearings in 2017 with good quality AC delco units........but I did not replace the wheel bearing/axle shaft seals. I had no idea there was this huge two piece seal in there protecting the back old the unit bearings...shows what I know coming from the explorer background. Let me just say this now, I LOVE my 1997 F350!

So this time around the excursion is being fitted with new axle U joints, Spicer lifetime non greasable
I will NOT install greasable U joints on any of my own rigs anymore, I am DONE with them. So Spicer life joints for us

New National axle tube seals and new national axle shaft seals
Also new Duralast wheel bearings with 2 year local warranty
Yes I know I should be using Motorcraft bearing assemblies at $260 each but with the holidays and all these projects I had to settle for cheaper bearings ($120 ea at the zone w online discount)

Pics coming.......this is a fun job! Again I will say it I love my 1997 F350 (no unit bearings!!)

Reactions: BBslider001

·
Native Californian
534 Posts
Excursion back in the shop!
had a nasty squeek and grind in the front end when in 4x4
Turns out the spindle bearings in the wheel bearings are toast
Why?
Because Im an A hole.
I replaced both wheel bearings in 2017 with good quality AC delco units........but I did not replace the wheel bearing/axle shaft seals. I had no idea there was this huge two piece seal in there protecting the back old the unit bearings...shows what I know coming from the explorer background. Let me just say this now, I LOVE my 1997 F350!

So this time around the excursion is being fitted with new axle U joints, Spicer lifetime non greasable
I will NOT install greasable U joints on any of my own rigs anymore, I am DONE with them. So Spicer life joints for us

New National axle tube seals and new national axle shaft seals
Also new Duralast wheel bearings with 2 year local warranty
Yes I know I should be using Motorcraft bearing assemblies at $260 each but with the holidays and all these projects I had to settle for cheaper bearings ($120 ea at the zone w online discount)

Pics coming.......this is a fun job! Again I will say it I love my 1997 F350 (no unit bearings!!)
As long as they are lifetime, what does it matter? Motorcraft bearing units have had a few bad runs as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: heavydoc

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
plenty going on these days, just finished a 3 month 2000 Ranger goes 306 build, the 07 in the middle bay is getting all the love now. Bay 1 and 3 are for keeping our fleet of junk going

took a bit but I managed to get the passenger side done first, old bearing was a bitch to remove

Onto the drivers side
New Spicer life joints both axle shafts, 226K miles on the OEM joints as far as I could tell, they were actually in pretty good shape still

clean the snot out of the two seal surface area's, inner axle tube seal that should hold for at least 3 weeks and the outer mega important axle shaft seal

Duralast bearings w 2 year warranty.....yay

I am using a National axle shaft seal that you can press on "by hand" as long as you are magic, you can actually do this with your hands! (and a vise and some cussing and sore fingers)
No special tool needed, I REPEAT, no Special tool needed to install these seals,. I did not have to make anything, I just used my hands. The unit bearing itself will actually push this national seal into position, it was DESIGNED to be installed this way.

Both seals pressed onto the axle shaft FIRST

·
PSN intsigator
7,258 Posts
Looking good

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 410customs

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
got her all finished up
Had a slight delay the drivers caliper had a frozen/rusted/stuck slid pin... no amount of pounding was going to free that SOB so we had to get a new caliper and bracket.... $80 with core.
All is good now I am about to take her out in the snow and see how we did.

Good help is hard to find.
Last year I took the Excursion front driveshaft in to have it "rebuilt", 3 new U joints and a new bearing in the cardan centering yoke....well here we are 5000 miles later and the cardan shaft is toast? what gives? I am not sure they even replaced the ball. I paid OVER $350 to have the shaft rebuilt..........should know better.
Because of the cost of driveshaft repairs these days. I did a bunch of research online and discovered I can rebuild my own cardan joint.
I have now been doing them myself, I never knew you could simply replace the bearing in the centering yoke? Knowledge is power. Im a self trained Ford dude, and in Colorado I had a driveline shop I used for 15 years, it was simple, drop it off, pick it up, this would have been more like $175 and I KNOW they would have done a good job. Now here in North Idaho there is one shop in town and its obvious they are price gouging and NOT replacing the parts I paid for???? It has been a year so I am not even going to try and take it in for a warranty claim and fight them. Take this one as a loss and a learning experience
So I just ordered 3 new spicer life U joints and a new spicer cv ball bearing for the cardan joint, total $83......... going to rebuild this sucker myself. I might need to add a driveshaft spacer to help with our lift.

281 - 290 of 290 Posts