Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

221 - 240 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
I was wondering about that

I decided to stack the 3" block on top of factory block....see how that works, If it is tool low I can stack the 4" block...... I will probably re visit this rear lift very soon, some better springs, maybe drop the hangers, I am not a big fan of tall blocks or stacking!!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
okay so the 3" block in the rear with add a leaf has the truck sitting perfectly level, I set a 6' level on the running board and we are all set

First off my stepson is doing v8 sport trac next door, it is good to have the shop up and running after our huge move across country

all factory hardware gets the ol tap and dye treatment, slather with anti seize

factory block goes on top to retain bump stop function....although I will be after some 5-6" blocks to replace the stack in the future. Good quality blocks will include bump stops

She's level!

We are gonna need some tires these front BFG are weak in comparison to the rear toyo mt at 13.5 wide!!
I can get 4ea toyo RT 37x13.5 delivered for around $1400.......... start saving

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,511 Posts
Wow been a long time since I've been on this thread. Thats super cool that this is still a thing (apart from the fact that it wasn't finished yet lol).

·
Native Californian
501 Posts
Great thread...got some reading to do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: 410customs

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
heck yeah! I build everything we own, it just takes time and money

We have been collecting parts to lift this SOB for two years, but we had to move first :)
Now the truck fits the bumper and the bumps on our road just got alot easier to deal with

Waiting on lug nuts and we can go test her out!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
I am changing the fluid in both diffs
almost there lug nuts and brake lines in today new tires tomorrow
wifey came by right when I was cleaning the diff covers and getting ready to paint them solid black
one thing led to another and well....

this is my "customs shop", not just "Jamie installs lift kits" so to impress her I took it a step further......
going to clear them tonight!

Reactions: heavydoc

·
CAT lover
604 Posts
That's hilarious! Love it

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Thanks! They came out better then I expected!!

almost there
tires are mounted, diff covers are cleared with epoxy and almost dry
tomorrow install diff covers, front brake lines, rear brake pads, one TRE and then bolt on the tires and GO!!!!!

37 12.5 17 DC Extreme country
We have these tires on the wifes FJ cruiser we have been extremely happy with their tread ware and performance
Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek tires continue to get my business the price and performance it way better then most IMO

All the "old tires are for sale, snow tires, street tires and wheels and the used 37's. Basically its a wash, we get 37's and "free" wheels and a 37" BFG spare. I need to find one 17" wheel....
Of course I spend my time driving around, wheeling dealing, getting the new tires, hauling the old, making ads, taking calls, etc etc etc
Perfect :)

Tomorrow we wrench!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
up and running around!

lucas full synth 75w-140 in both diffs, rear got limited slip additive.

Will drive it a bit, make sure front axle still centered, center the steering wheel and check torque on the whole she bang
Drives rather nice for the 2 miles I just put on her!

·
Administrator
8,325 Posts
How's it drive on 37's.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Will know more today! I only drove it 1 mile, 1/2 mile out half back just for testing
So far so good, I want to check the torque on everything make sure no brake line leaks, etc before we headf out ion the highway
It did seem to take a bit more throttle to get moving though LOL 37's vs 265's.........

The bumper used to look out of place, like a huge weight on the front...now it fits! Chances of a moose coming up and through the windshield just went down and it looks like we will be a bit more capable during mud season then before LOL

So far I love it!! This lift and tire size "fit" the excursion perfectly......

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Excellent! Test run complete. I need to center the steering wheel, its off by about 1/3 turn to the right, just need to adjust the tre at pitman arm I replaced yesterday

I see exactly what you mean by getting under the turbo with the 37's. You have to mash the fuel feed pedal more then previous before the big beast really gets moving from a stop, the result is you are in the boost more often and earlier which is really really nice!
I am shocked by how smooth she rides, I was expecting hay wagon because I have been in lifted excursions before...the opposite is true. While it still feels like a big lifted truck the suspension spring rate is stock like, it is responsive and supple at the same time, not too stiff. Our road just got a whole lot easier in the ex, the 37's make it so we can travel at speed now instead of slowing for each dip or rock, much like the other trucks we have around here

I am very happy with the results, I think this is the best thing to happen to the worn out Ex suspension and the 37's with 5-6" springs is just about right on this truck. I may do a shackle in the rear along with a true 5" block (no stacking) to bring the rear up an inch. If she sags with people and gear in the back then it may be needed to keep the stance, airbags would be a nice addition also.

The fuel fill cap fits nicely upside down in the tire lugs, way better then always putting in on the rear bumper
I need a tire ladder/step stool to keep in the back, when washing the windshield I could only reach so much!! LOL I'm only 5'-10" and the fill station only had short bar washers...no way to get the middle!!!

I need speedometer re calibration, what is needed for this?
Dakota digital makes a nice device for $85 I think can handle it?
Thoughts? What does everyone use?
This thing has the VSS in the rear axle right?

Thanks for all the advice, the 37's were the way to go! (even with 3.73)
Im looking forward to putting turbo and injection upgrades in this thing eventually...maybe some Amp electronic steps, def get some led rear tails, time will tell..........

·
Administrator
8,325 Posts
I reprogrammed my with autoengunity.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
ooooh ok I had no idea that was possible
I have torquepro but have not used it much
I need to learn what is involved, calculate the change in tire dia and then reset the number of pulses per mile or what?

Took ex for 3 hour drive today up to 75 mph....she is so smooth!! I like the highway gear, climbing hills I was not paying attention I should have been in the boost before the incline. It used to be effortless for the ex to climb these hills now it takes extra input.....otherwise you'er playing catch up. Otherwise we love the way she drives now it is far improved over the worn out stock suspension we had and little tires.....big tires are good for us and our road, it makes a big difference when you do not have to slow for every bump and dip

·
Administrator
8,325 Posts
I’m pretty sure that torque pro won’t work. I believe you can do it with forscan but I haven’t messed with it.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
So I should get autoenginuity I could use it for all kinda of stuff now as we are getting more and more into the 02+ rangers and explorers now......
I will report back
the AC in the excursion is acting up again.. stopped blowing cold. Fun!!
Will work on this stuff this week and see if we can gain traction

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
whats the torque spec on the pitman arm? 180-200 ft lbs?
Track bar?
Have a slight clunk in the steering gotta check torque I suspect pitman arm.........

·
Native Texan
9,110 Posts
Its in german goodntight. I have never torqued and of those. and u remember last time you torque to specs and the oring went bye bye.

I was born into Gobernment health care. And will die in Gobernment Health care. God Bless Our Military Men And Women.

221 - 240 of 290 Posts