Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Busted Nuckles
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my truck is sitting at a light, every now and then it will jerk like the transmission has shifted a gear. Also, sometimes after taking off, it will jerk like it has shifted, but the RPM's don't change, so I know it;s not shifting a gear.

I know what's causing the problem, now. It's the drive shaft spline re-positioning itself. So I'm taking the rear drive-shaft off to lubricate the spline. Problem is, I can't get the rear flange to come off the differential, even though all 4 bolts are loose. I removed the four 12 point, 12 mm bolts and I tapped on the flange, but it won't come loose. It's like it's rusted to the differential.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there another bolt that I need to remove?
I noticed there's something that looks like a shaft in the center of the flange on the front of the differential. Is this actually a threaded stud that I need to take off before the flange will come off?

I've flooded the flange area with PB Blaster hoping it will free itself.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Its just gona take a prybar put behind the ujoint and pop it out.

·
Busted Nuckles
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. Thanks.

I finally got it free. That PB Blaster takes awhile to work, especially in 40 degree weather.

I think I'm going to paint the mating surface of the flange. I figure if one side of the plate doesn't rust it will come off easier next time.

·
Busted Nuckles
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FORD_COUNTRY,

You must have a different spline than I have. Mine is coated with a blue substance that seems like plastic and fits so snuggly that it couldn't possibly make any noise. The inside of the yoke is machined steel. So the mating surface is plastic (or whatever that stuff is) on metal. After I regreased it with the special Ford lubricant, even though it's a tight fit it slides like a banana peel.
What model year is yours?
And is the spline coated with the same blue stuff?

If I were you I would worry that the yoke would fill up with grease and when I hit a large bump, the water hammer effect would split the yoke wide open.
How do you insure that there's an air space inside the yoke. If you keep greasing it without taking it apart, it's eventually going to fill up with grease and push all the air out. Then your just waiting for that next big bump in the road for a disaster to happen.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Busted Nuckles
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poor Write-up
Reason: Bad idea.
1) There's no way to see how much grease is in the yoke without puling it out.
2) 1 zirc fitting is only going to grease all the splines if it's located in the cavity. The only way your going to get grease to travel into all the splines is by filling up the yoke until it pushes it's way into each spline. Doing this will only last as long as 1 large bump in the road. The result is going to be a broken u-joint, bent drive shaft or a damaged differential or transmission.

Sorry, just my opinion.....again, Bad idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts