Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a shutter/vibration when I first take off from a stop. Sometimes it does it going straight, but most of the time it's when I'm turning, like from a stop sign onto another road or something. Only does it for a couple seconds, but it is very noticable. I have 4" blocks in the back, but they are tapered for the correct angle. Plus, I had this issue before the blocks when the suspension was still stock, so I know that isn't the issue. I've heard alot about how the stock LS is junk, so makes me wonder if that's where my issue is. What do you guys think? LS not catching or releasing like it should? I have to take the truck in to the dealership here soon for an AC problem, so was thinking of getting them to look into it, but I'm sure they'll say it wouldn't do it for them when they drive it. Just wanted to get some ideas from you guys first. Gear oil is fresh by the way.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If it does it when you're going straight it's not to do with the limited slip rear carrier.

I would lean towards axel wrap, did it get worse with adding the blocks?

I have the same problem, I was thinking it was trans related, but I am leaning away from that and concentrating more on axel wrap/pinion angle

just because you put tapered blocks in doesn't mean you have the right pinion to DS angle.

Do you have an angle finder? If so put the angle finder on the flat spot right behind the pinion flange on the diff and record the angle, then put it on the driveshaft and post them up.

I have read that 2* difference is good, (pinion 10* and DS 12*) but some have also said up to 5* difference is good...

Did you stack you lift blocks under your stock blocks that incorperate the bumpstops? if so perhaps the blocks are rocking?

How tight are your U bolts?

I'm working through this issue also and I'm trying to eliminate the problem without going to traction bars, but they might end up being cheaper way of fixing the problem compaired to an all spring lift...

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had this problem on a completely stock truck. It still did it with the factory blocks under there, and it did NOT get worse when I put in the taller blocks.

I just realized I typed earlier that it does it going straight. But it does not do it then. It only does it when you turn. Whether that be a hard right/left turn, or even a small gradual one.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well if it is only when turning then yes it's most likely a carrier problem, I had this happen on a much smaller diff when it was run low on fluid, started clicking around corners then eventually fully locked up.

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
I had that problem with mine. When I changed the diff fluid I used a L/S additive from my parts store. It felt like the clutches were trying to grab when I was going around a corner. Solution. Drain the fluid and put in two bottles of L/S additive from ford. Problem solved. First corner I went around was smoooooth.:D
Hope this helps.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to give that a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts