Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
CSAR Bish
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Ive figured out how I can lower the rear.. I dont have shackles, I have this monstrosity of a system that the leafs hook into and ties into each other by use of big rubber baffles.. I was looking at it, I cant exactly describe the system because Ive never seen one like it nor has anyone else, but all I have to do is flip one of the baffles on each side..
My main question is, to lower the front Ive found 2 different setups. One of course is just to swap out the front coils, but Im wondering if the caster would beable to be corected
the 2nd would just be to swap out the I beams for the 3 inch drop beams and reuse the factory coils..

The front will only be dropped 3 inches and the back around 5 (the rear of the truck sets up really high because of this setup)

Any insight is nice

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I think a 3 front and 5 rear drop would drop it down nicely and level it out. If you do end up doing it post up how it is on tire clearance and bottoming out. I have been wanting to do this to my truck for a long time but I can't get past the fact that it will probably be rubbing the belly of the truck going in and out of parking lot ramps and such.

Dually's look so sweet lowered!!!

·
CSAR Bish
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im concerned with the caster if I only do the drop springs if the castor can be corrected, or if it would be better with the drop beams with stock coils. Im also thinking my drivers side coil is saged more than the Pass, I will have to do some measuring, it could also be the fuel load on the drivers side causing it

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I would go with the DJM dream beams. Everything else seems to not be compatable with diesel engines.

If you have a spring sagging I would just get 2 new stock ones.

·
CSAR Bish
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going to be lowering the rear this weekend, I will take pics.. Im doing the rear first to see if it can even be done with the aftermarket bracketry on the back as I am thinking it can be done.. After the back is done then I will be getting the parts to do the front..

·
CSAR Bish
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RaceHauler, I just saw a pic of your truck on your profile, our trucks look like twins except mine is black with graphics down the side

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
RaceHauler, I just saw a pic of your truck on your profile, our trucks look like twins except mine is black with graphics down the side
Cool!!

I don't have the shell on it any more and I've got the grill painted white where it is grey originally. That might look pretty sweet on your black one too. I need to get some new pics uploaded.

What are you using to drop the rear?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I lowered my truck using the DJM drop I-beams. Realigning the front end was a snap.

Drop I-beams lowered the front 3”. I got another inch by going to 225-75x16E tires – front only. This is a trick only 4x2 guys can get away with. I used the DJM shackles to lower the rear 4.5” (exhaust clearance limitations) and later (after resolving the exhaust problem) I went on to a 6” drop.

All this worked really well.

·
CSAR Bish
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool!!

I don't have the shell on it any more and I've got the grill painted white where it is grey originally. That might look pretty sweet on your black one too. I need to get some new pics uploaded.

What are you using to drop the rear?

HAHAHA I just took my cap off over the weekend and my front grill is already black like the truck.. Let me find a pick of my rear.. I have this sort of a poly baffles on the back (2 on each side) that are bolted in on separate plates and by pulling one of the baffles and flipping it I can get it lower.. I will look for some pics, if not I will take some. Its late and dark right now..

I will be getting the beams once I figure out the rear setup

·
CSAR Bish
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lowered my truck using the DJM drop I-beams. Realigning the front end was a snap.

Drop I-beams lowered the front 3”. I got another inch by going to 225-75x16E tires – front only. This is a trick only 4x2 guys can get away with. I used the DJM shackles to lower the rear 4.5” (exhaust clearance limitations) and later (after resolving the exhaust problem) I went on to a 6” drop.

Would you mind posting a few pics of the phases of your truck during the drop?

·
CSAR Bish
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

What do you have that thing up to for MPG now?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I average 26.3 plus or minus 0.2.

I have stuff for a new refinement but my helpers got hit with the useless stick.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Yup. Still running OEM split shots.

I look to address this before too long, but other things keep getting in the way. The OEM injectors have 190,000 miles on them and I know tips don't last forever.

·
CSAR Bish
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I didnt get a chance to lower the dually this weekend, I spend Sat rebuilding a friends rear axle that broke a detriot locker, axle shafts, along with the gears on a wheeling trip a few weeks ago.. I spent Sun getting new axle shafts from a JY for my front full width D44 for my Cherokee and installing them, and then took a 15 mile bike ride with some friends.. I did get a chance to look closly at the setup and I took measument and it can be lowerd up to at least 8 inches or so but Im looking for 5 for the rear and then drop the front about 3, so I will try for next Sat to do the work, until then I then I will be soaking the bolts in PB blaster

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
You forgot to say soaking the bolts in P B blaster and drinking some of that fine home brewed beer. LOL :poke:

·
CSAR Bish
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive drank all of my home brew, but I have a Wheat beer kit waiting to be brewed, Im trying to find a brew shop around to get 2 more ingredients for the modified version.. I do keep the fridge stocked with micro brews though.. I did have many a good amount of beer yesterday while rebuilding my friends axle yesterday

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
When you lower your duallie, watch the exhaust clearance. This was a problem for me for a while. At a 4.5” slam in the rear my 4” exhaust banged the top of the axle.

Eventually something (a parking lot snow drift) took care of that problem. Now I dump my exhaust straight down about 24” forward of the axle. No more banging. Save yourself the trouble and do it now. Some guys go to a side-dump pipe. That works well, too.

·
CSAR Bish
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My exhaust already dumps prior to my axle on the pass side so thats not a problem

1 - 20 of 86 Posts