Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check my sig and I tow a 12K+ toyhauler in the heat of Az. It runs and pulls great and I can do well keeping egt under 1300*. I would just like to know if there are any economical ways to help even more. The Adrenaline will help cause I don't need as much throttle to get the power I need now. I haven't had a chance to pull any 6% grades yet but on the flats it's working well. Just wanted to know if there were any cheap mods I'm missing. Thanks for any replies.

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
Have you done the fender sleeve mod on your AIS intake?

·
Right Wing Radical
44 Posts
I was having similar heat problems with my '02 F550. Had the intake and exhaust, but still hit 1250-1300 easy.
Bought the GTP38R turbo from DI, and completely changed the attitude of my truck--better acceleration, especially under load, and shaved 200 degrees off my EGTs.
I know the 38R isn't cheap, but it is probably the best mod you can do to lower temps and build power.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was having similar heat problems with my '02 F550. Had the intake and exhaust, but still hit 1250-1300 easy.
Bought the GTP38R turbo from DI, and completely changed the attitude of my truck--better acceleration, especially under load, and shaved 200 degrees off my EGTs.
I know the 38R isn't cheap, but it is probably the best mod you can do to lower temps and build power.
Mine is E99 and all the changes would make it more than I want to spend. Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
Can't remember who it is but some one make's a good towing turbo for the E99 trucks you might want to look into that.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
I really dont wanna be the guy to start this but.......... have you talked to jody about this? sometimes a tuner can tweak it some.

and guys please dont make this into a tuner bash fest or anything.

·
Registered
257 Posts
:whs: beans sells it..drop in for the e99..reasonable price to

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do you Know what the specs are a D66?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really dont wanna be the guy to start this but.......... have you talked to jody about this? sometimes a tuner can tweak it some.

and guys please dont make this into a tuner bash fest or anything.
No bashing gonna take place on my thread or I'll have it deleted. Jody has my truck running as good and strong as can be.

One thing I want to make clear. can pull a 12K+ toyhauler up a 9 mile 6% grade in temps around 100* @ about 50 mph with egt's around 1250-1300. I just want to explore some options to lower the egt's some simply because of the extreem heat here in the summer. When I leave home and head up the mtns and it's 116* the tuner can only do so much. At that point you just back out of it and do what you can. I've thought about the snow boost cooler but don't know much about it. The d66 might help but I don't want to spend that kind of money right now. Just thought I'd throw this out there and see if maybe there was something inexpensive I could do to help it some that's all.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

·
82 Posts
Water/meth injection? got mine on order from snow right now. got a nice offer untill the end of month where you get the 7 gal tank for free with the stage 2 setup.... cost 482 from diesel site... then i can up grade to stage 3 mph max later for 490.... that way i will only have the price of the stage 3 in it when im done....50-100 horse and 150-300 temp drop... might work for you....

·
Registered
257 Posts
if u decide to go that route run straight WATER meth is hell on a engine...causes heat.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Methanol, being an alcohol, I'd imagine would lower your intake charge quite a bit more than straight water.... Some issues with that though...
Methanol and aluminum react with each other.
Being an alcohol, it is also a fuel. So it will create some combustion heat.

I'm sure theres a tipping point of advantages. Where the added effect of cooling is not yet offset by the added heat. I just have no idea where that point would be....

Stuff to try and bring your egt's down could be turbo, intercooler, perhaps headers or better flowing up-pipes... Problem there? $$$$$$$

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. Thinking about the snow stage 2 with 02 only.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I put on a 1.0 turbine housing and wicked wheel, it droped my egt down a 200 degrees on e99.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
if u decide to go that route run straight WATER meth is hell on a engine...causes heat.
:doh:

Please...:doh:

Thanks. Thinking about the snow stage 2 with 02 only.

Look at the Cooling Mist kits, they have better pumps, better controls and better injectors then Snows. I have run both and several differant pumps from Snows, Cooling Mist and Devils own...

Snows "200"psi pump puts out less then 150psi with two injectors, Cooling mists 250psi puts out 200-220 with two LARGE injectors on it.

I can not push over 1200* pulling 14k+ over Oregon passes. Water injection sounds right up your alley.;)

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
:doh:

Please...:doh:

Look at the Cooling Mist kits, they have better pumps, better controls and better injectors then Snows. I have run both and several differant pumps from Snows, Cooling Mist and Devils own...

Snows "200"psi pump puts out less then 150psi with two injectors, Cooling mists 250psi puts out 200-220 with two LARGE injectors on it.

I can not push over 1200* pulling 14k+ over Oregon passes. Water injection sounds right up your alley.;)
Joe what's the price difference between snow and cooling mist?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts