Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I sold the lift off my truck and now its back to stock.
Right now the back is 4'' higher than the front.

I was told I can take the rear block out. Its all bolted.

What do I need to do. Do I just need to get new springs for the rear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you take out the block.
I have a bolt that goes all the way throw the springs and the block.
I need to go down 4''.

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
You can take the block out all together. That is what I did with mine but it sat too low, so I put in the 1" blocks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I need to put a new bolt back in, or don't worry about it.
Thanks

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
I put in a 1" block because it sat too low for my taste in the rear. You don't have to put anything back in there, but I think it looks better with the block IMO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have done that and there is a bolt there just like in the pics.
I have to get new u-bolts too. Mine are to long.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You wont lower it any taking the top block out. It is and over-load assembly..
And yes the bolt needs to go back in, it holds the springs together.
Do you plan to haul anything heavy?
If not you can take the third spring from the bottom out and get another 1.5-2" out of it. You'll probably have to replace the u-blots once/if you remove the bumpstop(bottom) block..

Take a wire brush and clean the treads real good and spray it with some penetrating oil before you start.
You'll need some vice grips to hold the round head. And a large c-clamp to keep the springs together so the threads of the bolt won't gauld or strip when you remove the nut..

I'll stess again, if you remove these two pieces you won't be able to do any heavy hauling...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to do bags on it to for when I haul.
thanks for the help.
I am going to work on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Then what I posted should give you what you want..
If the spring bot messes up you can use a grade 8 3/8 bolt(i think but check for sure) in place of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I can take out the bottom block and the third spring from the bottom out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just put some washers on before the nuts. However, if you don't have stock U-bolts, that probably won't work.
Its all Stock from what I was told by a good guy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yep, there is a center pin bolt for every spring pack and it's best to go with new Ubolts every time you mess with them.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but at 185 lb/ft torque, you're actually stretching those bolts, which alters their strength properties and there is no sense risking saftey over saving a little scratch.

Post a new pic when you get it done! From your original pic, I'm thinking that loosing just the bottom 2" block should do the trick. I'm thinking of getting the Icon 2" leveling kit for mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope so too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You may be able to find u-bolts at Oriliey's or pepboys. Try to find u-bolts first..
If not, and I dont like doing this, you can take the bumpstop block and use it as a spacer between the top plate and the over load assembly. you'll have to turn it so it around won't actually hit the bump stop.
The least amount of spacers you have, the less likely the springs are to loosen on you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I hope I can find some u-bolt for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep, there is a center pin bolt for every spring pack and it's best to go with new Ubolts every time you mess with them.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but at 185 lb/ft torque, you're actually stretching those bolts, which alters their strength properties and there is no sense risking saftey over saving a little scratch.
No sir! You are very correct, it makes for an interesting ride when the rear end shifts or springs pop out! With the amount of torq these trucks have, it would be safer to buy new spring bolts and u-bolts..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok I hope I can find some u-bolt for it.
I think its a 3" od, you may have to go to a couple different stores, they usually only have one or two per store. Houston should have plenty. Or you may get lucky and find a spring and brake place open tomorrow..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts